5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

problem with red 89 cobra clone (HELP)

Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 AM
89530stang

Default problem with red 89 cobra clone (HELP)

One day i was driving in my car and everything was fine i stoped at the mall and then left. when i left i got on it and my car started died and acted like it was getting no gas.i let the car set there and every time i started it it would run for like 1 min and then die.i got the car home and put new gas in it and everything was ok for the day but when i start the car i have to put the gas pet to the floor our it wont start and in the morning it is hard to get it to start at all it will act like it will keep running if i keep the key on the on .so i thought it was the fuel pump and changed it to walbro pump and then started the car and it started fine one time so i put the fuel tank back and went to start it and it would not start and was doing the same thang i need help i dont know if its elect problem our whatPlease Help thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: problem with red 89 cobra clone (HELP)

have you changed the fuel filter ?

also check the inertia switch, for a loose harness, or loose ground

i think thats probably it
Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 AM
89530stang

today i check the inertia switch and bypassed it also what is weird is when i take the relay out by the computer with the key on and then but it back in the car starts and has hella gas smoke come out the mufflers then when i cames to idel it dies why i also somethings have fuel pressure but other times none also when i changed the fuel pump with the tank out the car started one fine soi put the gas tank back in and wont start.its now way bad before when i got the car started it would be fine all day allong as i put the gas pet to the floor i havent check the ect yet but that could do it also but could the computer be bad
Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
cody91mustanglx
1st Gear Member

myn did the same thing, but myn tunred out to be the afermarket ignition, goin bad
Old 03-02-2008, 12:08 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

did you check to see if your fuel lines are getting pinched anywhere while you are taking your gas tank in and out? also change your fuel filter and idk just maybe your oxygen sensors woudl cause the smoke outta the pipes? not sure
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

hmmm....dizzy module going bad ?

possibly the coil

i didn't quite understand the fuel pressure thing...do you have a guage on it that you can watch when you drive ? it's pretty easy if you don't, just buy one and hook up to the schrader valve w/ a length of braided line, you can zip tie it to the wiper or anything. just to see what it does....5-8 psi fluctuate is ok...it will do that as vac changes from throttle changes. but big fluttering is no good

i think you should isolate whether it is spark or fuel and go from there.

trying to tack both will be harder
Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
gtnateam

i have a 93 cobra motor in my car and the same thing happend to me and it turned out being the mass air
Old 03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
89530stang

today is the same thing.I went out to the car and put the gas pedal to the floor and it started up and reved high, then when the car idle came down it died with gas smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Its got to be gas or electricalbecause the car is getting sparkand starts but then dies. also i bypassed the intra switch and checked therelay under seat and everything is ok and the pump turns on. sometimes it gets fuel in lines and sometime it doesn't, also i tried to start it with starter relay with a screwdriver and it wouldn't start and now my batt gauge says that there is no voltage and when i try to start it it klicks so i ****ed something up i think starter relay.but when this happen my stereo system was bounding and i think the computer is bad because i ran a wire to my starter sil from stearing collumnbecause it wouldn't start without it,so the car would start without clutch in and when i take my battery cables off the car it still has juice from the stereo batts.I have to unplug the fuses so i think whenmy stereo bass was onthe cars volt killed something in elec system dont know going to have to take it in our something what sensor could also be doing this please help help
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Just cause it gets some spark doesnt mean you are constantly getting spark. Is the computer poping out any codes? Did you put a fuel presure guage like posted above on it? When was the last time it had a tune up?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 AM
89530stang

well today i changed out coolant temp gauge and put the gas pet to the floor and the car started. i left the idle screw high and the car stayed running then when to the back of the car and light white smoke was popping out every 10 sec and smell like gas very bad dont know what it is still tomarrow im going to change the ECT sensor and see what that dose but im getting fuel pressure and my car just got new plugs, cap ,rotor, ect... thanks for looking and helping hopefully i find out what the problem is soon if you know what else you think to check please let me know also i bypassed the fuel safety switch and already changed fuel filter 2 days ago and car started fine then did it again so dont know but all find out what it is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problem with red 89 cobra clone (HELP)