5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wet kit vs dry kit?

Old 04-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default wet kit vs dry kit?

Hey guys, in case you don't already know, I'm buying another Mustang from someone for $2000 for its parts since the crankshaft is busted and it doesn't run. I'm getting it this wednesday, BTW. Anyway, he is just trying to get rid of it since it's been sitting in his mother's driveway for who knows how long, and he wants someone to have it who would do something with it. Guess I'm that person. He's my friend, so he's not just trying to make a buck off me. Anyway, he told me he's going through his house and his mother's house to search for any loose pieces relating to the Mustang to give to me for free, including a pair of drag slicks. SCORE!

Anyway, he says he's selling his "dry kit" nitrous, and giving me his "wet kit." Originally it was supposed to be without the nitrous, but I guess not. What I'm asking is, what the heck is the difference between a dry and wet kit? I know nothing about nitrous, and will not be using it, probably going to sell it...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: wet kit vs dry kit?

dry uses the injectors to supply fuel while wet uses its own source of fuel, wet its better in the long run and you'll see more results but its harder to install
Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh ok, so I guess you know a lot about nitrous stuff? Because I'm probably going to end up selling it. I've decided long ago I'll never spray my car, unless I am planning on running it into the ground, which I'm not. So I'll ask you for advice on how to list it on ebay when that time comes, hehe.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 02:48 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you can safely run nitrous on a 5.0 and not ruin it
Old 04-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

nitrous provides additional power in 3 ways, when nitrous is heated over 572*F if breaks down and releases its oxygen molecule into the charge mixture, allowing extra fuel to be burned.the second effect is by cooling the intake charge. since the nitrous is stored in the bottle in liquid form [usually at about 1000psi] it expands into a gas when released into the manifold. for those of you who have a physics background, youll know that this will cause that temp to drop considerably, which will impart an increase in density. a typical nitrous system will drop the intake temp by about 60 -80 degrees. actually there is a third benefit to nitrous and that is that the nitrogen molecules released druing the breakdown process helps to buffer the increased cylinder pressure created. this improves the effeiency with which the oxygen/fuel mixture will burn.

Wet systems- typcially inject both nitrous and fuel into the induction system via a plate or nozzle upstream of the TB. the biggest advantage to this type of system is that the nitrous/fuel proportions are consistant and can be tuned with serparate jets.

a draw back is puddling in the manifold, second is nitrous solenoid may need more frequent maintenance as the seals deteriorate due to prolonged exposure to fuel vapors. lastly if the nitrous pressure in bottle rises to high, it may cause the A/F mixture to lean out. conversty as bottle pressure drops the engine mixture will go rich.

dry system.= the beauty of a dry nitrous system is the simplicity. dry systems differ from their counter parts in that they inject nitrous only and rely on the PCM to supply supplemental fuel by increasing injector pulse width. this id doen by injecting the nitrous before the mass air sensor, which reads it as extra airflow. this increases the amount of fuel delieverd by the injectors at the pcm's direction.

draw back is that is is dependent on the fuel injectors for supplemental fuel delieverly. if the injectors are not able to supply the fuel dicated by the pcm the mixture will go lean. therefore, injector sizing is critcail for engines using a dry system.

thats enough info for you fools...........hehehe ................i plan on using a dry shot for my car. one reason i went with 30# injectors to help make sure im safe when spraying either a 100 shot or 125 on top of my combo. this is where fuel PSI/timing and A/F play a role. also why you need a good size pump liek a 255
Old 04-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

You can, but you can't say they do not decrease the motor's life, because they do. Everyone I know who runs nitrous tells me they know that they can only do it for long before they have to buy a new block. But they think it's still a good, cheap and easy way to get a good 1/4 mile time.

Besides, when I get the money and another car to use as an everyday driver, I am planning on supercharging this Mustang, so don't really feel like throwing on any other power adder for now...
Old 04-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Good description quick. I knew the basic concept, but not the specifics on the whole before or after MAF/tb stuff since I didn't know the difference between the dry and wet systems. yes, I know physics and I know some people who use nitrous simply to cool down the intake. Seems like a waste of nitrous since it's not really so cheap anymore, but it should still work in increasing air density.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

If the bottom end is built to handle it, you can run it safely. On a stock bottom end I wouldn't run anything huge. As with any form of supplimental induction, don't get greedy or you'll pay. Keep cranking the boost on a forced induction and eventually you'll blow something. Same goes for juice - pick a safe level for your setup and let it go.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Yah, when I have the time and money and this car isn't my primary form of transportation, I am planning on completely rebuilding my block, new crank, new pistons, new cam, new anything that is stock and worn. Then I am planning on installing a supercharger, but done right, I'll make sure to have big enough injectors, a good rail, strong enough pump, decrease compression, all of that for it to be ideal for supercharging. Basically I want it tuned correctly so it'll make its maximum potential. Will definitely take some time and money (and tons of advice and help, lol), but it'll be worth it.

So for now, I don't really feel like putting any other kind of power adder to it, it'll just be wasted effort.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you can run spray for along time as long as you dont get greedy. you run a 125,150,175,200 constantly and youll pay. now if you spray a 75 alot then your good to go really. its alot better on a motor then other ways. but why you see ppl with spray and bad motors ppl get greedy!!!!!!!!!!!. just like boost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wet kit vs dry kit?