5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cheap Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cheap Mods?

Bump timing, 10 hp to be had from it...

E fan, u/d pullies, stronger alternator, full exhaust...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

cheapest mod....lose weight

and if you plan on going with a heads cam combo then you should just start saving now
+1

lose the few hundred pounds of uselessness (is that a real word?) in the hatch area...

suck up your pride, and just buy a bass tube. Save your hearing, get some money back, and make your car faster.. all in one shot!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I love my subs though!!

i use them alot at parties an such...

i'd be happy with the H/C/I i just don't know how long it will be before i can afford to purchase and install them.

Hopefully sometime before summer.

I have so many plans for this car, but no income

Thanks for all the tips and idea's for my car guys, i appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 AM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

It looks like you have the same set-up as me for my 92 hatch project car and I'm only 17 too and am having the same exact money problems. Get an H-pipe and get rid of your flowmasters. Save up for the h/c/i its the next biggest adder after gears I think. I feel you on the subs too, I love keeping my car the loudest possible in every area
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I'd be nervous that my interior panels would fall off with 2 15" subs lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: apedosmil

It looks like you have the same set-up as me for my 92 hatch project car and I'm only 17 too and am having the same exact money problems. Get an H-pipe and get rid of your flowmasters. Save up for the h/c/i its the next biggest adder after gears I think. I feel you on the subs too, I love keeping my car the loudest possible in every area

Hah yea i love my car!! im tired of hondas wanting me to race cause my car sounds good!!

and it being close a close race[:@]

Oh and i love watching peoples faces when i pop open my hatch, usually along the lines of daaaaayyyymmmnnn

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

I'd be nervous that my interior panels would fall off with 2 15" subs lol.
hahah, actually my car doesn't rattle very much when they are turned up, it does a little in the hatch area but nothing bad like the i expected...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

thouse 15' sub's are prob close to what? 80lbs?
my box with 2 MTX 10's are around 40lbs, but i think its mainly the box's weight.

i would go for weight savings.

at your age, why not just keep the car good, spend the money on synthetic oil's, and such, (dyno's proven to add a couple horse, and trq through the hole rev range, just from damn oil)

im only 22, but ive wanted a fox sence i was your age, but i never had the money, and in florida, if i did find one, the body was all jacked up with rust.

i finally got one, and got a KILLER deal for all the mod's it already has, and soon enough ill have the money to really jack up the power, but for me, the car is more for the car right now, more for just looking at it, enjoying the ride, etc.

i might get a 100shot, after my gears, and headers, just to run down any car's that are pretty close in a race, take it to the track a little, but it will prob be at LEAST a year from now, before i seriously consider H/C/I or a supercharger.

id save money at your age for more important things, at your age too, insurance has to be pretty bad on the 5.0 huh?

plus its your daily driver, if you do anything to it and mess the car up, your out of a car!
i have a pickup truck, and a motorcycle, so i can take my time with things, you might want to find a old beater truck (like mine, 1988 ford ranger) that way you can have something extra.

good luck bro, post up some pictures of this beast
Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

yeah insurance isn't as bad as i thought it was gonna be, i have a 1994 F150 that i can drive as well, but its also a spare vehicle so its not always availble

Other than that, i think ill save up for the h/c/i

and other mods
Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

i feel your pain man. if i was you though id keep the boomin system, and save up for a turbo or s/c. i love my system and wouldnt trade it for anything. i have a kicker solo x 18 powered by 2 2500.1 kicker amps bridged. lets just say i cant feel my head when its 1/2 way up. [8D]its great, you pull up to a light with your stuff boomin, then aPOS honda b16 pulls up next 2 you and you smoke them while soundin good in a 4000 lbs truck!!! (bronco).
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

oh sweet lookin ride btw. you said its carb'd so it must be the 84 motor. save up and build your own blow-through carb setup.

Quick Reply: Cheap Mods?