5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dash lights out. pop pop pop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

Default dash lights out. pop pop pop.

so my dash lights have been out for some time, i was waiting to order a new dimmer switch at a reasonable price... i checked my fuses and they seemed fine, so i received the dimmer switch yesterday, threw it in, and still nothing.
when i turn the dome light on via the dimmer switch it works fine.

so after i put it in i pulled every fuse. and finally came across one that i could barely tell it was popped, little paint on it, hard to see...
it was a 5. so i put a 5 in and pop, i put a 10 in and pop, 15 pop, 25 pop...

any ideas or suggestions on what could be making this fuse pop constantly.. i have a 4inch tach that i spliced the light part to the hazard switch. also at the beginning the lights all worked fine with no issues.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: dash lights out. pop pop pop.

YOU ARE GOING TO CAUSE A HELLOFALOT OF DAMAGE INCREASING YOUR FUSE. Last time i heard someone do that they melted the wire from the point it was shorting out to the fusebox. melting the ignition hrns and a couple of other things that totalled $3500 worth of damage to repair. You have a short somewhere in the system plain and simple....... What were you removing or moving just before these went out? If you installed a radio and did not insulate the dimmer wire(orange and orange/white) properly it could do this. if you just put in some gauges or had the dash apart?

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING LARGER THEN THE 5A THAT WAS IN THERE.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

YOU ARE GOING TO CAUSE A HELLOFALOT OF DAMAGE INCREASING YOUR FUSE. Last time i heard someone do that they melted the wire from the point it was shorting out to the fusebox. melting the ignition hrns and a couple of other things that totalled $3500 worth of damage to repair. You have a short somewhere in the system plain and simple....... What were you removing or moving just before these went out? If you installed a radio and did not insulate the dimmer wire(orange and orange/white) properly it could do this. if you just put in some gauges or had the dash apart?

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING LARGER THEN THE 5A THAT WAS IN THERE.
+1
Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
mcginnt
2nd Gear Member

yea i figured it was bad at the time but i kept my fuse puller on it to pull it off quick if the lights didnt come on but it pop'd so fast.

i havent dont anything recently to the dash, when it happened my radio and dash lights cut out, i checked the stereo and it was a fuse in the radio that blew, replaced it and it works fine...
atleast its getting warmer out so i can take the radio out and check all the wires i guess...