5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installing Upper & Lower Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
medium_jay
1st Gear Member

Default Installing Upper & Lower Control Arms?

Hey guys. Spring is approaching soon and I'm getting ready to start working on my 1990 5.0 Mustang Lx. I have the Ford Racing Upper control arms already... and am ordering some adjustable Lower Control arms from Maximum Motorsports in the next month. I also have subframes being welded in. My question is how hard is it going to be to install these control arms? I don't think the uppers will be much trouble at all but the lowers might be a different story. Anyways... I'll be doing this in my garage with a jack and stands... with all hand tools for now. Can anyone give me some step by step instructions onhow to go about this project and pointers or things to take into consideration? Any other toolsI should invest in? I am a fairly mechanically inclined person so i'm thinking this should be very doable. Thanks for your time!

Chef
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing Upper & Lower Control Arms?

Its not hard, unless you have rusted hardware[:'(]
Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: medium_jay

I'll be doing this in my garage with a jack and stands...
thats exactly the same way I did mine.

its not hard at all. might want to get some torque box reinforcements welded in as well while you are at it.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Upper and Lower Arms, Poly Bushings, Torque Box Reinforcements( Welded and bolted), Subframe Connectors( Welded and bolted).

You'll hook and have a nice level of performance improvement.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you'll be fine. you will probably want an extra pair of hands at some point though...most of all getting the springs back in, that always gives me trouble.

you wanna rasie the back up by the diffy, then lower it on the frame rails so the suspension travels all the way relaxed (but still won't be 100% and you'll fit it slightly but not bad)

the rest is self explanatory, if the control arm bolts are bad....you might find it easier to melt the old bushing w/ a torch and then bang them out w/ a hammer

do some 50/50's and spend the $30 on an air bag for the right side, use 8 psi in it
Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

you'll be fine. you will probably want an extra pair of hands at some point though...most of all getting the springs back in, that always gives me trouble.

you wanna rasie the back up by the diffy, then lower it on the frame rails so the suspension travels all the way relaxed (but still won't be 100% and you'll fit it slightly but not bad)

the rest is self explanatory, if the control arm bolts are bad....you might find it easier to melt the old bushing w/ a torch and then bang them out w/ a hammer

do some 50/50's and spend the $30 on an air bag for the right side, use 8 psi in it
I had new bushings......it took me an hour to get the old ones out. I used a drill.......it suckd!!

Good Luck!!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Novipowered5.0
1st Gear Member

Just don't put poly bushings in the uppers.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
medium_jay
1st Gear Member

Alright this sounds very doable now. You guys really suggest these Torque Box Reinforcements eh? With the new control arms and subframes I should be able to launch pretty well? Anyone got any more pointers or a place that sells Torque Box Reinforcements? Thanks guys.

Chef
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
medium_jay
1st Gear Member

Anybody got an answer for me?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

http://www.uprproducts.com/

Quick Reply: Installing Upper & Lower Control Arms?