5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MM panhard bar and torque arm

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

Default MM panhard bar and torque arm

im wondering if anyone has this setups and can tell me some pros and cons about it or nything to watch out for..thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
medium_jay
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MM panhard bar and torque arm

Hey. First off I can't say that I have this set up, but I have been in contact with the guys at Maximum Motorsports about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need the whole MM rear end kit or at least most of it including the subframe connectors? I think one of the only cons is that this set up is rediculessly expensive. Depending on how much hp and torque you're looking for here I don't really think that whole set up is nessessary for a street car unless your producing some serious hp. Give the guys at MM a call and talk to them about it. They called me right back and sent me pictures and set ups and aswered all my questions.

Chef
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

oo i saw them ina package for under 800...and they have different kits for round and square subframe connectors...i didnt read nything about having to use there subframes... i just want to get rid of my upper control arms. right now im probably only at like 300. but im in the process of building a 351 n im aiming for 600 to the wheels...so i want something to hold up to it...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM
medium_jay
1st Gear Member

Yeah that kit should be perfect then. "An MM torque arm actually requires that you have sturdy subframe connectors installed on the vehicle. These are the mounting point for the torque arm crossmember." That in the quotations is what a guy from MM wrote to me with some pics and what not. You don't have to use there subframes by any means... but I think some packages just come withthem.

Chef
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: medium_jay

Hey. First off I can't say that I have this set up, but I have been in contact with the guys at Maximum Motorsports about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need the whole MM rear end kit or at least most of it including the subframe connectors? I think one of the only cons is that this set up is rediculessly expensive. Depending on how much hp and torque you're looking for here I don't really think that whole set up is nessessary for a street car unless your producing some serious hp. Give the guys at MM a call and talk to them about it. They called me right back and sent me pictures and set ups and aswered all my questions.

Chef
Okay I 'll correct you when you are in fact wrong......you don't need the whole mm rear end kit... I have a mm panhard bar on my 85 gt and it works wonderful...and the stiffness it provides vs cost is well worth it

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...6/DSC00033.jpg
Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

lol he beat u too it MJR...but thanks for the info..it sounds like a sweet package thought i think im gunna go for it..
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

mjr it looks like you are using the granatelli upper/lower contol arms too. i have both u/l but idk about puttin the uppers on. ive heard that its not wise to use them for street use? what do you think?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^yep I have the granatelli's..I's not a daily driver and I have roughly in the past year and a half with them on about 1500 miles and they have never given me a prob... they have greasable fittings.. so I don't see why it would be a prob... but more so I went with them ..cause they are tubular uppers.. and I needed the clearance for the tailpipes and extentions I made to the tailpipes over the housing so I could fit the panhard bar in place and still have exhaust clearance.. it was tight and took me 6 hrs to fab it all up and make it work correctly without hitting any part of the body or suspension
Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

yeah i herd there is a lot of exhaust clearance problems when you match the heavy duty torque arm n panhard bar...im probbaly just going to by pipe from summit and make it myself after i put on the suspension stuff
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^it's more so the brace that bolts on from side to side... the piece in my pic that has the sticker on it......what I had to do to get the proper clearance was lengthen the top of the tail pipe assembley that goes over the rear end... and having mac two piece tail pipe ball and socket set up helped by geing able to adjust angle of pipes... but also made it tough cause they are bulky too.. I'd reccommend a 1 piece tail pipe set up and hace some straight pipe for the mod... in the instructions it tells you flowmaster and dynomax are the only two exhaust systems that are suppose to work with no mods... I had MAC.....but my guess is any set up may need a little modding

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM panhard bar and torque arm