5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Adjustable Clutch Cables, which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 PM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

Default Adjustable Clutch Cables, which is best?

So are there any better clutch cables than others out there? By that I mean stronger, built heavier, thicker, etc. I have replaced my FRP adjustable cable 4 times, and again on the way home tonight it streched/frayed apart at the plastic piece that goes threw the ear hole on the tranny just before the clutch fork. I think it is getting too hot from the headers and failing at this point. I have wrapped the headers at this point and also wrapped the cable itself, but I can't get one to last over 6 months without stretching out. I had to friggin power shift it home again. I got it from a local Ford Motorsports shop here, that's all they sell. Is there a stronger one that can be ordered? Has anyone else had this problem consistently? Or at all. Have Tremec 3550 and MAC long tubes. Thanks. [:@]
Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 AM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Adjustable Clutch Cables, which is best?

BUMP any suggestions before I spend the money? I have researched alot of articles here and most seem to like the STEEDA. Does anyone know if the Ford Racing (which I have) cable is made of stainless steel like STEEDA or galvanized steel? I can't get an answer from the guys at the local Ford Motorsports shop here. Thanks for ANY input.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

You have an underlying problem somewhere. If you buy another cable, it's just going to do the same thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

That's whatwas afraid of. Do you know of a good heat wrap tape maybe that may help protect it from the headers? I just got the DEI wrap from Auto Zone, like the cloth type. Is there better tape maybe that would hold up better. There's no other way to route it away from the header.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like the heat is causing you problems here. FWIW though, the stock Ford cable is the strongest compared to all the aftermarket ones though. I'm not sure if the FRPP one is the same thing or not so my point may be moot.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

do you have an very stiff clutch pedal? i had the motorsport heavy duty clutch in my first gt and kept snappin cables, then swithched to a centerforce gold clutch and problem solved! oh i also upgraded to a steel input bearin retainer on the trans, had a lot of deep scratches on it. was nice and smooth after that
Old 03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

You need to make sure the cable is routed with the least bending radius possible.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:42 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: golden_eye

Sounds like the heat is causing you problems here. FWIW though, the stock Ford cable is the strongest compared to all the aftermarket ones though. I'm not sure if the FRPP one is the same thing or not so my point may be moot.
your better off with an OEM one, I believe Maximum Motorsports sells them
Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 PM
JamesIngerman
1st Gear Member

id go oem!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

MM has them for cheap!

Quick Reply: Adjustable Clutch Cables, which is best?