5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HIGH idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
jwells5.0

Default HIGH idle

My car Idles at about 2000 to 2500 rpm, i jus replaced the O2 sensors thinking that was the problem because before i had this problem my C.E.L came on and i ran the code saying i had a bad oxygen sensor. Installed them and i still have a high idle...ive checked for vacuum leaks with some stater fluid and i havent found one..what else could it be?

95 Mustang GT, BBK Headers,MAC C.A.I, custom exaust
Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HIGH idle

i had a similar problem on my 87 gt and it wound up being a bad tps (throttle position sensor) but id check for a vacum leak again, you cant have any leaks from your mass air flow sensor to the throttle body check clamps and make sure your hoses are on properly. try to spray carb cleaner around the upper intake gasket and lower intake gaskets and listen closely for any idle changes. check your vacum hoses they can get bumped off. just grab some stuff and wiggle ive found quite a few problems that wau too. good luck
Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
jwells5.0

thats wut ive basically come down to ive been checking vacuum lines all day and i think the sensor jus took a dump luckily they arent too bad like 30 something bucks but illl go over everything again ...thanks for the input
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Have you tried adjusting the tps before you just go out and buy another one. Another thing to do is to take off your iac and tear it down and clean it throughly.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the bad idle club [:@]

I would say to first try to reset your base idle since you just replaced your O2 sensors....

If that doesn't work, there is a sticky on here somewhere with all the different methods to chase the idle problems.....Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
jwells5.0

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Have you tried adjusting the tps before you just go out and buy another one. Another thing to do is to take off your iac and tear it down and clean it throughly.
I could try that not to sure on how to adjust it though.. but i have noticed if i unplug that sensor my idle drops considerably and then it will idle low for like 30 sec before it dies from lack of air
Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

haha yep welcome to the high idle club.. mine idles around 1300 when warm but like 950 when cold.. idk. i gotta check vac hoses too. its just been cold out
Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwells5.0

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

I could try that not to sure on how to adjust it though.. but i have noticed if i unplug that sensor my idle drops considerably and then it will idle low for like 30 sec before it dies from lack of air
Here is a sticky for adjusting TPS. With the idle air control (IAC) take it off, you will have to replace gasket. Anyway tear it down and spray it with brake cleaner. I guaranty there is gunk in there keeping it from operating like it should.

https://mustangforums.com/m_969165/tm.htm
Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM
jwells5.0

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

Welcome to the bad idle club [:@]

I would say to first try to reset your base idle since you just replaced your O2 sensors....

If that doesn't work, there is a sticky on here somewhere with all the different methods to chase the idle problems.....Good Luck!
How do u reset the base idle? well the O2 sensors were bad before this started happening....and then this idle problem started and then i replaced the O2 sensors thinking it would fix the problem....it didnt but atleast my exaust wont smell so rich anymore...
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
jwells5.0

Thanks for the Info!

Quick Reply: HIGH idle