5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting up issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Starting up issues

hey guys, i've recently bought an 89 hatch, Freshly rebuilt motor (30 over) and rebuilt AOD tranny.

When i had bought it, every time i started it up, the starter would continue to run for about 3 seconds after the engine was running.

A few days after i had bought it. Take into consideration it had been starting normally. I moved it a few feet from where it was, turned it off, worked on the tail lights, and tried to start it to move it again. The engine would crank but would not start up completely. Even after i stop turning the key, it seems to want to continue to start up for about 2 seconds or so.

Could it be something wrong with my starter? Could it be the fact that the negative wiring to the battery looks a bit worn and the cable is exposed at one point?

I'd really like to find the problem and cruise around ASAP!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
GoldenP21

Default RE: Starting up issues

could be solenoid
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
ericburt
1st Gear Member

it isnt the starter, its the ignition module which is by the distributer, same exact thing just happened to my 90 gt, i bought a 37 dollar ignition module from autozone and that was the problem. Its a common problem that those go...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

With the car not starting it could be the module. But with the engine continuing to turn over after ignition is turned off is probably the seloniod.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

well i sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the car would then try to start more so than before, so can this prove that there is a fuel delivery problem? i tried knocking the starter with a skrewdriver softly, and the fuel pump as well. Nothing worked except the starter fluid. The starter also seemed as it was working when the car was starting with the starter fluid. So i doubt its the starter at this point. could it indeed be the fuel pump?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
JamesIngerman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ericburt

it isnt the starter, its the ignition module which is by the distributer, same exact thing just happened to my 90 gt, i bought a 37 dollar ignition module from autozone and that was the problem. Its a common problem that those go...

i agree i had this problem with my 90
Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM
89GreyStang

working on tailights
Hmm.. If it was the left rear tailight, did you accidentally bump or jar the cutoff switch ? These are designed to 'pop' if it is jostled. Simply press the 'red' button back in.

Happened to me once.. The usual telltale sign is you will not hear the fuel pump charge up.

Glen
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89GreyStang

working on tailights
Hmm.. If it was the left rear tailight, did you accidentally bump or jar the cutoff switch ? These are designed to 'pop' if it is jostled. Simply press the 'red' button back in.

Happened to me once.. The usual telltale sign is you will not hear the fuel pump charge up.

Glen
Exactly what I was thinking. If you still can't get it to fire, check the fuel pressure under the hood, just to make sure the pump is delivering. It sounds like you also might have an ignition problem too. A bad solenoid would let the starter continue to have power (or stay engaged) after the engine fires. It quite possibly could be a bad starter. I had to replace the one on my car when it wouldn't disengage. The stock starters can't take much abuse when you start really upping the compression ratio (typically right after an engine build.) I would take the starter out and physically test it if you still can't locate a problem. If your car is built, it's not a bad idea to invest in a high torque starter, or one with a warranty of a couple years, unless you enjoy buying stock starters every couple months.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

alright guys i found the issue!

i mustve bumped the shut off switch while working on the tail lights!
thank god it wasn't a faulty fuel pump (which i checked before i even read the comments about the switch)

thanks for your help! i went cruising in it tonight, smooth as can be!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

also, the starter still stays on after i start it up. but the guy who i bought it from said he'll throw me a new one for free!

so i'm set!

Quick Reply: Starting up issues