5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Free Lowering job

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 AM
goatnipples2002
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Free Lowering job

I have yet to do anything suspension related to my sn95, but all the other cars I have modded needed a spring compressor because the springs are compressed on the shock/strut. Just rent one from your parts store, should be free. Atleast at the store I work at it is (Advance).
Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I worked at an auto parts store, and probably will be in the summer again, but we didnt have one. Maybe I'll just end up borrowing one from a mechanic.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

They are at autozone for free to rent, you do have to leave a deposit though till its returned
Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

you dont need the spring compressor. just dont get greedy and cut more than a coil. my old green 95, my girls 98v6, my friends 91, 92, my old green coupe my friends 02 gt. have all eben running cut springs with no problems
Old 03-14-2008, 03:16 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I dont plan on cutting more than a coil. Seems most people have had good results with 1 coil. Does anyone have a link to instructions? I'm sure I can figure it all out myself. But pictures/tips will help me avoid mistakes, so it comes out correct the first time.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

you dont need a spring compressor. your going to need a jack and a stand. take the wheel off, jack the car up, place the jack under the car, remove jack and place under arm/spring, jack up just SLIGHTLY, remove corresponding arms and whatever else is there and with CAUTION lower jack. they have been known to pop out so be careful. follow same process in reverse.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:57 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

K Sounds like I have a pretty good idea of what to do now, and should be able to do it on my own. Just gotta wait till June now. Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I don't agree with doing the front without a spring compressor. Back is easy. Undo the rear shocks and let the rear axle hang down. The springs are just barely under compression.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

ive dont the front and back on a couple differnet mustangs with no issues. if the front end is sitting on jack stands than the pressure is the same as the back on jack stands??? remember just be careful.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:47 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

I don't agree with doing the front without a spring compressor. Back is easy. Undo the rear shocks and let the rear axle hang down. The springs are just barely under compression.
I would advise against that since you will be hanging the rear from the brake line. I would just put the rear up on jack stands under the frame rail and let the rear hang from the shocks. Then do each side by placing the jack under the lower control arm at the axle, remove the rear bolt, then lower the jack. The spring will fall out.

Also, before you do anything, get under your car when it is on the ground, measure up about what you want to lower you car and mark you coils. This way you will know what it will end up at and only have to cut once. Also, look to see how your springs are sitting, rotation wise and be sure to put them back in the same what you took them out.

The fronts, when I did mine, I put the car up on jack standsas high as you can, you will need the room. Take your rims off, also remove your calipers and hang them from someplace out of the way.Then place the jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to put some pressure on it, just enough to hold it up. Then unbolt your C/C plates(the 3 bolts on top of your shock tower) After that, go up into your fender well, grab your strut and compress it and swing it out of the fender. Once it is out, lower your jack then pull out your spring, it should come out fairly easy.

I hope this help ya

Quick Reply: Free Lowering job