5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 88gt

ORIGINAL: dimebag

ORIGINAL: TRexGAWD

Rid your 88 of the speed density and switch to a MAF. It will save you tuning headaches in the future. Intake is always good although for the meantime you could eliminate the intake silencer. If timing hasn't been tuned in some time it may be off. Adjusting it will also net you some extra ponies in the future and make your car feel better throughout the powerband. Set the timing 10-12* BTDC, you can advance it further with premium fuel but that's a good starting point. With race fuel it could be advanced as far as 19-21*. FPR and fuel pump are also a good investment prior to other modifications. A shift kit would also be recommended as the stock shifter doesn't have proper positive stops and you could end up overshifting into 2nd or 3rd and break a shift fork.

These are all preventitive modifications that will have minimal gains now but will help save you money, headaches and time replacing parts later on. They don't "need" to be done right now but I would becaue they will net you more horsepower when you do exhaust, intake, cam, heads.
dumb ***.

SD is fine, go check out the SD section we have

anyway, w. that money id put a vortech on it at 6psi or so, and call it a day(yes you can supercharge a stock SD car)
No ****...reallyyy, wow I didn't know you could do that....I guess all the NMRA/NMCA racers are wrong then.

Never said anything is wrong with SD just that I prefer MAF and it is a fact that mass air systems are superior to speed density in accuracy of readings and have a greater tolerance for engine changes. Mass air systems are much more flexible in their ability to compensate for engine changes since they actually measure airflow instead of computing it based on preprogrammed assumptions like SD or the even simpler N Alpha. They are self-compensating for most reasonable upgrades, as well as extremely accurate under low-speed, part-throttle operation. On the other hand, the MAF meter, mounted as it is ahead of the throttle-body, can become an airflow restriction on high-horsepower engines but if you're running that kind of extreme power then an N Alpha would be a wise choice as it is primarily suited for WOT. Only reason not to switch to MAF years ago would be cost, in this day and age there are a number of companies that provide great systems for low cost. I also don't know where you would be able to get a SC for $400 because that's about all it's going to cost for what i recommended. Everything I listed is DIY or low cost starting points. And LMAO at sc on stock system, sure it could be done but you'll be creating uneccessary strain for no. Either way you look at it, the prior mentioned will have to be done sooner or later. Might as well do it now instead of paying for it worse later on. If i had your mentality of thinking "dimebag" my car would be sitting in a garage somewhere not running. Why don't you actually get some experience and know the facts before labeling someone a "dumb ***." I've got more time building cars then you have at life. Put it this way, I've known Urist, DJ, Bussel, Dickson and Keenan for some time now being that I grew up with them and raced with them back in the day before Hellion, before NMRA, back when 9 and 10 second Mustangs were record breakers. You like SD I like MAF, there is no right or wrong just show your facts before calling someone out. He asked for opinions on what to do and for us that grew up with these cars we have given the same advice to everyone that's new to them on good.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 88gt

See my sig...inexpensive and a great place to start...a run of the mill bolt on car, although mine is set up to corner too. For me brakes are next before more power but you get the idea.