5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bad Mechanic or Bad AOD? your thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 PM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

Default Bad Mechanic or Bad AOD? your thoughts..

Since the mid 90s, a lot of my friends and I have owned some type of Mustang. Most of them have been and still are foxes. One friend of mine in particular, has owned the same 90 lx for about 10 years. The paint is all faded and he doesn't even drive it anymore. It just sits there under a car cover and collects dust. I think this is because he's finally reached his breaking point with the transmission.

Here's the story....
When he first bought the car, it supposedly had a Mustang AOD inside an LTD casing. That's just what his so-called mechanic told him. He had the tranny rebuilt in the first two years that he had it. When he did this, he added 4:10 gears. Since then, he has had the old stock AOD workhorse rebuilt five times. He's only put 50,000 miles on it since the first rebuild. My question is, do you think the 4:10s are too much for the old AOD or is his mechanic just that sh!tty? I think his mechanic is a hack and he needs to go to a better transmission. Let me know what you guys(and GIRLS) think.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Mechanic or Bad AOD? your thoughts..

TTT
Old 03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

With 4:10's, they overheat the AOD and burn it up.

I had 3 rebuilds in 2 years: ), the solution is to run an in line heavy duty tranny cooler, and then THE LINES into the radiator, and install a deep AOD pan with heat sink coils.

Then re-adjust the Kickdown, so your like you were before you had the 4:10's(shifting wise).

Verify the kickdown is ok and not rusted or the groomet on TB is not worn.

Its cheaper and better to go 3:55 or 3:73 with the AOD, if your gonna do highway.

4:10 is up to 65mph, for so long, but all those excessive revs will cook up the tranny and you can smell it.[:'(]

Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

or just suck it up and swap it to a manual
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

That's the thing, he can't drive a stick if his life depended on it. My SN95 had a TKO600 with a Ram clutch. I let him drive it once because I was too drunk to drive. That's all it took. He was shifting into fourth at less than 20mph and grinding. That would never happen again. No five speed nor clutch stand a chance with him. I thought I was right about telling him the 4:10s were too much for that AOD. I love it when I'm right. LOL!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

4.10's are not to much for it..infact with the high ratio 2.40 first gear any thing less and that turd is slower than a turtle off the line.. what is needed is a properly built AOD and external cooler to help it last longer
Old 03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

He's wasting his time even owning it anymore. It's been sitting for almost a year. It's a turd period. Seals are always leaking from tranny. Motor was rebuilt in the last couple years, and it already burns oil. Paint USED to be red. Now it's so faded that it damn near looks pink. It's been sitting so long, all the tranny fluid is probably absorbed in the earth beneath the car. It will sure burn up next time he drives it and it for sure won't be the gear's fault. Keep em coming peolpe.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

4.10's are not to much for it..infact with the high ratio 2.40 first gear any thing less and that turd is slower than a turtle off the line.. what is needed is a properly built AOD and external cooler to help it last longer
saved me a post....... +1

it's easier on the trans w/ 4.10's.....more leverage, shift kit oils it better, and you need an oil cooler...but then again all autos do

it's not the mechanic it's the trans.....i went trhough 3 of them on my '90 that i bought brand new......1 was so called "bulletproof" and the car never even broke 13's
Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 PM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

It's not mine, it's my roommate's. I won't own an automatic. Nothing against them, I just don't think they're as fun to drive. I wish you guys could tell him though. He's too busy playing World of Warcraft to car about his fox anymore. He really needs a lightning bolt to strike him in the head to beat some sense into him. He needs to realize what's really important in life... like more damn horsepower!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i just posted in another aod thread.......

but i'll post again

my slowest stock 5-speed was faster than my fastest modded aod car

or at least they were equal...but there wasa big diff

Quick Reply: Bad Mechanic or Bad AOD? your thoughts..