Suspension... - MustangForums.com

Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Suspension...

Old 03-16-2008, 11:32 PM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension...

I have a 95 GT.

I was wondering what kind of shocks / struts would be the best for just an better quality ride. I'm not really wanting anything too crazy awesome performance wise or expensive. This is my everyday driver and the ones on there now might have been there since its birth in October 94. It is just like a waterbed when you puch down on one corner of the car.

Also, I'm looking for something strong enough in the rear to drop Ford's whole "quad shock" setup.

Considering lowering springs too,maybe 2 in?What exactly would that call for? Camber / Caster plates?

Any suggestions would be very helpful!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension...

im not sure aboutyour first question but i do know that with a 2in drop you will deffinitaly want caster camber plates.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
benz5800

as soon as you lower the car you will need caster camber plates and also a bumpsteer kit to make you steering geometry correct again. as for the shocks and springs the best stuff i have seen for a car of you year is either on stang suspension or maximum motorsports. just as a tip dont buy anything with a name that sounds like it belongs on the side of a ricer
Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Tokico is one name i would recommend, I love my 5 ways and they also make a non adjustable. To replace the quad shocks, you're going to want to install some aftermarket lower control arms. rear shocks are not going to make it 'okay' to remove the quads, you may still get wheel hop. Like mentioned c/c plates and a bumpsteer kit are both good ideas.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: benz5800

as soon as you lower the car you will need caster camber plates and also a bumpsteer kit to make you steering geometry correct again. as for the shocks and springs the best stuff i have seen for a car of you year is either on stang suspension or maximum motorsports. just as a tip dont buy anything with a name that sounds like it belongs on the side of a ricer
its a good idea but not necessary. i dont have a bumpsteer kit and i have 0 problems.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

OnyxCobra

Tokico is one name i would recommend, I love my 5 ways and they also make a non adjustable. To replace the quad shocks, you're going to want to install some aftermarket lower control arms. rear shocks are not going to make it 'okay' to remove the quads, you may still get wheel hop. Like mentioned c/c plates and a bumpsteer kit are both good ideas.
hey onyx...i was lookin at the tokico shocks the other day...and what would u say...go with the adjustables or just the reg...i would asssume the reg ones are more set towards street?..which is what i want...i only see me runnin the car maybe twice a year if that..so i just want somethin that when i lower it rides good on the street..
Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Yellow50

OnyxCobra

hey onyx...i was lookin at the tokico shocks the other day...and what would u say...go with the adjustables or just the reg...i would asssume the reg ones are more set towards street?..which is what i want...i only see me runnin the car maybe twice a year if that..so i just want somethin that when i lower it rides good on the street..
all depends on what you want man. If you want to be able to change how the car rides and handles then go with the Illuminas, if not then the Blues are great struts also, my guess is they are set to be about what mine are on 3. The adjustables aren't just for drag racing. Actually they make two sets of adjustables, they make drag struts and regular, which is what I have.