5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

finally found out why my car handles like crap

Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default finally found out why my car handles like crap

hey guys, for some stupid reason someone welded my rear end. please correct me if I'm wrong but you check this by lifting the rear and rotating the tire and if Its a posi then it should spin the opposite direction right? mine both spin the same direction. also found out what the weird rattling noise I've been hearing was, first one of the muffler hangers has completly broken off also leaving a hole in the muffler, and the bushing for the mid pipe hanger is hanging out on one side and completly missng on the other.
one last thing, is their any reason for a hose running inbetween the cats? some retard used a green garden hose and clamps for some kind of crossover between the cats.
the more I find out about my car the more scared I am of ever buying a used car again, unless I know the person
Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: finally found out why my car handles like crap

that garden hose is for the Smog system

this is why you check a car thoroughly before purchasing
Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 AM
89 5.0 Mustang
2nd Gear Member

dude u need to fix the welded dif part that is not good, who ever did that was tryin to go the cheap way out for it to be locked. It is better to spend more money at the time then to have to replace more later on
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

Posi = both wheels spin the same way.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 AM
89 5.0 Mustang
2nd Gear Member

yea sorry thats wat i ment but either way weldin ur dif is not a good decicion
Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tberg725

Posi = both wheels spin the same way.
thats only when the trac0loc is engaged. its not engaged if its just sitting there and ur spinning the wheel by hand
Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Both wheels spinning the same way is not a problem...that's the Trac-Lok or sometimes referred to as "posi trac" which is a GM term. Trac-Loc is a LSD as opposed to an open diff which sucks for traction. I don't know what year or kind your car is but I do know that it was in the 94/95 Cobra's. Possibly the GT's but i don't know for sure.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:17 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

my car is a 89 mustang gt,
so does that both wheels mean that its been welded or not? if not then how can I check other than ripping it apart?

and alero99 i know I messed up bad in buying this mustang but its what I have to work with and I didn't know much about mustangs at all before buying this I'm only 16 and I baught this when I just turned 15.

as for the muffler hanger being ripped out of the muffler should I buy new mufflers because of the hole in the muffler or have it welded shut? their flowmaster mufflers. And for the ghetto garden hose should I just put on my off road h pipe and not worry about it or? and I ment the bushings for the mid pipe the hangers are there. the reason why I havent put off road h pipe on yet is because I need to buy the little rubber donuts that go in between the clamps and I dont know how to get it all the way together, its one of the really cheep off road h pipes that have a slip joint at the middle of the crossover pipe. any reccomendations on how to get it fully together?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

If it's been welded into a locker and not a swapped Cobra kit you will know. It will handle rough taking turns like it wants to kick out and will have wheel hop like a bitch. Also when you go to launch it will kick and hop real hard. It's good for drag racing and that's about it. Have the hole in the muffler welded, just make sure whoever does it does a good job and seals it with a good bead. Take the cats off and put the H-pipe on, cats suck anyway unless you live somewhere that requires emmisions. I'm really confused by the type of H-pipe you have. If you could post a picture of it or tell me the brand that would help a lot more.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

lmao, ok Trac lok only engages under acceleration, if you jack it up it SHOULD act like an open dif, ie one tire spins the opposite direction

if both tires spin in the same direction by hand then you either have a locker or welded spider gears

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: finally found out why my car handles like crap