5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Runs good cold, wants to die warm...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
chickenbutt
1st Gear Member

Default Runs good cold, wants to die warm...

I have a 89 gt mustang. When I start it cold it runs great.. that is till it warms up, and then it acts like its out of gass. It had the vortech supercharger on it but had to take the blower off it still has 24lbs injectors and the fmu. I have the stock ecu, and im not sure if it a stock mas air sens or aftermarket.. And I have another ecu I got and the pearson said it was tuned for the injectors and mas air. but I dont know if I trust it, and no rev limit... And I have an exhaust leak on one of the heads (passenger side). like something was there but isn't now.. very loud! And the fuel pump was suppose to be new.. it has been sitting for almost a year.

Any input would be awsome!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Runs good cold, wants to die warm...

as for the exhaust leak someone may have removed the smog system and never plugged the hole .. try and reach around the back of the head see if you can feel the hole or any air coming out while the car is running .. we just had that topic not too long ago i believe it was a 3/4 long 5/8ths -11 bolt
Old 03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
chickenbutt
1st Gear Member

yea.. I remember plugin the one on the back but didn't know about the one on the front.. And I tried the other ecu that was suppose to be tuned or chipped or something and it ran a little bit better. now itacts like it just all of a sudden doesn't want to run, and there is no power.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Try taking a look at the engine temperature sensor (or whatever else it might be called) After your engine warms up it may still think it's cold causing it to flood itself and run crappy/die on you.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Well

you may just have an old fuel pump going bad, check your pressure when its warm, by keeping the guage on it.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
chickenbutt
1st Gear Member

yea, it has been sittin awhile.. it takes a really long time for the temp. guage to even move.. Thanks though, i'll try that and post back. But what should I do for the temp guage? maybe buy another one? or what?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chickenbutt

yea, it has been sittin awhile.. it takes a really long time for the temp. guage to even move.. Thanks though, i'll try that and post back. But what should I do for the temp guage? maybe buy another one? or what?
check the temperature guage sender, for the coolant on the intake, it has a singe wire going to it.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
chickenbutt
1st Gear Member

Okay I got a 5\8ths bolt for the leak on the head havn't tried it though.. does it have the fine thread or kinda bigger?? the bolt I have has the bigger threads on it and about two inces long.. b/c of the supercharger bracket it needs to be longer....

Not really sure what the 'singe' wire is though aode08.. Unless you ment single... I'll check it out. Thanks alot though you guys.Sorry, im not the greatest michanic.. (SP)
Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I dont know what michanic is

but yea a single wire on the intake manifold(front of it). As far as the bolt, remove another bolt and take it to Autozone, they have a bolt aisle with adapters to show your exact size, then you need to find the length.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

tfi? does it surge when warm, or just die

Quick Reply: Runs good cold, wants to die warm...