5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Changing Battery Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default Changing Battery Cable

I'm changing my negative battery cable. The one I bought is too small and before I go out to change it for another I was wondering, Can I mount it some place else? Like on the negative of the starter solenoid?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
TI302
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Changing Battery Cable

battery should be grounded to the frame, and the block should be grounded to the frame. Do you know exactly how long you need? Id suggest making one out of some decent 4awg or 1/0. i might be able to help you out if you get a length and let me know what kind of ends you need
Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

I just went to Advance auto and bought a new one. The one in it now is grounded to the engine block. I was going to replace and put it back to where it is, but the one I bought is too short. I just thought I could ground this one somewhere else other than where it is because it can't reach.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

top ac bracket bolt.

Running a long ground like that, was a dumb move by Ford. You always want to keep your grounds short as possible.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

I grounded to the body right beneath the battery. I cleaned and sanded it down real smooth and bare, to make good contact.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

battery is suppose to be grounded to the BLOCK!!!!.....lower side on a ear that sticks out by smog pump and the block is grounded to the the body via a strap on the firewall...do it right and do it once....that's why the factory choose those spots = works great when followed
Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

FYI, the other post on your solenoid that is not connected to the battery is NOT a negative terminal, it goes to your starter. if you were to of connected your negative terminal there you probably would of blown up your battery by directly shorting it.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

It is a good idea if you are in replacing cables to do a big 3 upgrade. This is where you replace the stock power wiring between the battery alternator, the battery and the chassis, and from the chassis to the block. The stock ground wires are 10 awg so even if you run 0 awg wire to your amp or accesories the current is still choked by the stock 10 awg wires. I show my battery and alt wiring on page 4 or 5 of my cardomain page. The battery to the chassis is literally a 3 inch piece of 4 awg with 2 ring terminals on it. I ran 4 awg from the chassis to the back of the alt while I was running new 4 awg from the alt to the battery. Make sure to scrape the paint on all the connections as a bad or almost bad ground can send you troubleshooting for weeks........
Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

battery is suppose to be grounded to the BLOCK!!!!.....lower side on a ear that sticks out by smog pump and the block is grounded to the the body via a strap on the firewall...do it right and do it once....that's why the factory choose those spots = works great when followed
The smog pump is too far. It's on the other side of the car. I am looking for alternative places to mount the new Negative Terminal Wire. The wire I go is one 24" long.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode08

top ac bracket bolt.

Running a long ground like that, was a dumb move by Ford. You always want to keep your grounds short as possible.
Top AC Bracket bolt? You mean on the AC Compressor?

Quick Reply: Changing Battery Cable