5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

8.8 rear noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Default 8.8 rear noise

So after reading in the search section I have a ton of tings to look at, but I wanted to list my scenario and see if anyone could chime in. I have a '93 GT 70k original miles, original 3.08's in the back,5spd new clutch and tranny just rebuilt 950 miles ago.

After taking it out for a cruise two days ago, I noticed a more prominent rear end noise when shifting, as a clunk/pop coming from the rear. It does not happen in all gears. Today I noticed it happened on the 2-3 shift the most, and lightly when backing out of a parking space. It is louder and more prominent today, and the last thing I need right now is a problem with the rear.I am driving the car really easy as well. One thing I did notice is that ifI hold the car in gear for a little longer (for example there is a turn comingup and it doesn't make sense to shiftbecause you would be down shifting in a second anyway) it makes this popping/clunk right as the clutch is depressed).

I was hoping that it was just something simple like the u-joints, but the only symptom I know of with those is that the will make a clacking as you pull away from a light, which the car doesn't do. The car sits level from the rear, and has stock springs. It does have an o/r/ h-pipe and two chamber flows, and before I had the tranny work doneI could feel a very very small clunk some times. I was thinking maybe something to do with the exhaust as well.

I am just surprised that this is happening as the car has been generally been well taken care of and only has 70k, and these 8.8's are pretty bulletproof. What are my chances here of a worn carrier? How often do rears have to be rebuilt? I also don't know if this will make someting go off in someone's head but about twodifferent times in the past weekI have taken it for a cruise it has been harder to shift as inall of a sudden there were no gears in second, third, or fourth, I had to wait and get it in second after several attempts. At first I though it was the shifter as I had a tri-ax put in at that time, but as I asked before there really isn't a wrong way to but the ball in the cup when installing it. Today we (the shifter and I) missed third. So much for the spring load. 95% of the time it is working fine. Is this just more of a case for a messed up rear?? The stops weren't adjusted at all when I git it back from the shop and I corrected that, although I haven't checked them since.

I will try and get a look under therewith the next couple of days with some reinforcements but plese feel free to give me some ideas of anything to look for besides the c-clips and rotating the wheels by hand, and checking the crossmember.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: 8.8 rear noise

that was too long I got bored after first paragraph... but here is my opinion...check your rear u-joints for play and or binding
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Dandy74
1st Gear Member

I had the same concern after my trans was done and CHECK THE DRIVESHAFT TO YOKE BOLTS!! mine were left a tad loose and after shifting hard and putting lie 200miles on it they were loose! Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

mjr46: Yeah I know I am wordy, verbose whatever you call it. I would just rather list it all out first so it is all out on the table, unlike some of the post you see likewhere people leave out their car specs and mods. Thanks though.

Thanks toDandy74 for the fast response too.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM
gcmmustang

Yeah ,check your yoke bolts
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 50Stocker

mjr46: Yeah I know I am wordy, verbose whatever you call it. I would just rather list it all out first so it is all out on the table, unlike some of the post you see likewhere people leave out their car specs and mods. Thanks though.

Thanks toDandy74 for the fast response too.
I don't have a prob with your wordiness.. I'm just really tired tonight and lazy are the eyes...anyway.. check the control arm bushings for wear..I had one once that would do a similar thing and the control arm bushing and bolt were all rusted and wallowed out