5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam ? for H/C/I swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Cam ? for H/C/I swap

I started ordering my stuff for the swap that should be done by may. I already ordered the Holley Systemax intake and was looking to order the AFR 165s in the next two weeks. After that the cam was going to be ordered. A few people here suggested getting a custom ground cam. I talked to a few shops around as well as a few gearhead mechanics who have gone the same or similar route I am going. They all said that for the power I am lookingto makeand the off the shelf parts I will be using, that a mass produced cam would be cheaper and the custom cam wouldn't offer any noticeable drop in E.T.s only in 1-2 hp extraon a dyno sheet.Should I just get an off the shelf cam that will provide the bestE.Ts possible out of my setup, or have a cam talior made to squeek out the most hp #s on a dyno sheet.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cam ? for H/C/I swap

In most cases, a custom cam will make more than just 1-2 hp. A couple of questions you need to ask yourself....

1) What RPMs will you mostly be operating at?
2) Is it only going to be mainly street, and some strip? Just the street? Strip only?
3) What gears do you have?

Also, I would skip over the AFR 165s and move straight for the 185s. They will give you more potential growing room.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

I started ordering my stuff for the swap that should be done by may. I already ordered the Holley Systemax intake and was looking to order the AFR 165s in the next two weeks. After that the cam was going to be ordered. A few people here suggested getting a custom ground cam. I talked to a few shops around as well as a few gearhead mechanics who have gone the same or similar route I am going. They all said that for the power I am lookingto makeand the off the shelf parts I will be using, that a mass produced cam would be cheaper and the custom cam wouldn't offer any noticeable drop in E.T.s only in 1-2 hp extraon a dyno sheet.Should I just get an off the shelf cam that will provide the bestE.Ts possible out of my setup, or have a cam talior made to squeek out the most hp #s on a dyno sheet.
I would just get the complete holley systemax setup, with the cam.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I was thinking of having the car go to the track 1 or 2 weekends a month. I also figured that if I can't get the times I'm looking for out of a top end swap, a good dyno tune, and a set of DRs, next summer I'd upgrade the axles, run slicks, and spray a nice 100 shot at her. That way I could have a budget hot rod for the weekends at the track and have a decently streetable fox for when I want to take it out.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I was looking at the Track Heat intake from TF, but it was a toss up between the two. The guy who is going to do the dyno tune say he tunes roughly7or 8H/C/I swap on a 5.0 a yearand when they bring the cars with the pre-assembled take the guess work out kits they never give exactly what the advertise and the custom picked heads, cam, valve springs, rockers, and intake swaps usually give better #s.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 AM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

They are very wrong

Check the customer section out...

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/customers.htm

Now tell me that a custom camshaft is not worth it.

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

RED-These would be the people who have never used a custom cam or known anybody who has.

Blue- To provide the best E.T.'s possible you will need a custom cam.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Have you thought about a custom camshaft/heads package? .....this option will not only ensure the best results, but also the fact that the heads will have the correct hardware to support the cam events for your combo. Instead of getting a set of heads with springs "good to .xxx" lift", you get the correct set of heads with the correct valve springs pressure rate installed, etc the camshaft requires, valve springs individually tested before assy...... at no extra cost. This way, the chance of having a H/C mismatch is null..... just a thought.