5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How stupid can people be

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 AM
87greyghost
1st Gear Member

Default How stupid can people be

Last summer i bought a 87 mustang gt. It ran ok when i got it but i had bigger plans for it. It started running a little warm the first time i drove it. So i took a look and it had underdrive pulleys on it. I figured that was the problem so i changed them back to stock andput a 165 tstat in it. That didnt work so i got a usedclean radiator and new water pump. That helped a little bit. I finally got my GT40 heads bought they were proted polished and had bigger valves put in them. This past weekend i started the project of coverting it to carbureted. First thing that pissed me off was whoever owned it before me put Crown Victoria heads on it????? That dropped it about 60HP. Then i looked down and saw that it was bored .40 over. Thats why it was running so warm. When i pulled out the wiring harness and took a look at the computer it was for a 3.0L Taurus or Sable. Again another dumb *** move. So i put the GT40 heads on it with a RPM performer intake and Ford Motor Sports cam 512/512 lift in it with MSD box and new coil. Cranked up and ran like a top. Took it down the road and realized it didnt have all the get up and go it should have. I then looked at the gears. THERE 2:73's wtf stock gears so while i was under it i looked up. It has a brand new aluminum drive shaft that accompanies a brand new looking 5 speed transmission. So my question is how stupid was this ***** to buy an aluminum driveshaft and go through the trouble of rebuilding the motor .40 over to put crown vic heads on it with a 3.0L computer. So before you buy something makesure you look it over good. Glad to say that i took it to the track and with the GT40 heads, RPM performer intake, FMS cam, and Long tube headers even though i still had the 2:73's and a regular street tire that made me spin out the hole and half way through second still ran a 9.2. I feel with a 3:73, a slick, aluminum radiator to make it run cooler,and a 125 shot of Nitrous that i can bring it down to around a 7.5 or 8 in the eighth.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How stupid can people be

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it had crown vic heads on it?. Weren't they all E7 heads during that time period?. If not, how would you tell what type of car the heads came off of?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:12 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

it wouldnt run with a taurus 3.0 computer.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
87greyghost
1st Gear Member

There were 5 people there when i pulled the computer out and it said 3.0L Taurus/Sable only and it still at my friends house cause the gas was too high to drive it all the way back here but ill get the computer out of the back seat when i go back. Nobody knew how it was running with that computer but it was. And the reason i said they were crown vic heads was because i had a guy there that worked on fords and he said they were crown vic heads. I trust him but if they werent i know they werent stock because when i got it i bought spark plugs for the heads that were in the computer at the parts house and they didnt fit. I went back with a spark plug i pulled and he also said that those plugs also went in the crown vic heads so thats two people that told me.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

Weird.Are you sure you own a mustang?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

vic heads are not e7's by the way , those were used on the 5.0 ho and the truck 5.0.that 3.0 sable ecm is something new to me too how would a v-8 run with a v-6 brain? somethings are a mystery.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 87greyghost

There were 5 people there when i pulled the computer out and it said 3.0L Taurus/Sable only and it still at my friends house cause the gas was too high to drive it all the way back here but ill get the computer out of the back seat when i go back. Nobody knew how it was running with that computer but it was. And the reason i said they were crown vic heads was because i had a guy there that worked on fords and he said they were crown vic heads. I trust him but if they werent i know they werent stock because when i got it i bought spark plugs for the heads that were in the computer at the parts house and they didnt fit. I went back with a spark plug i pulled and he also said that those plugs also went in the crown vic heads so thats two people that told me.
You really have to find some new friends that actually know what their talking about. I've owned an 87 crown vic and an 87, 88, and 89 Mustang. If my memory serves, I think all the plugs fit, they just wouldn't be the right temp rating, or gap if you got performance plugs (ie bosch platinum non gapping 4 point, or crap like that) Also, I think someone else mentioned that it wouldn't run on a V-6 computer. Mostly because of the different ignition system, let alone hooking all the wires up. Before you go back to get your computer, ask your friend if he's checked your halogen light fluid lately. You know how low it gets when your Mustang sits for a while.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

honestly crown vic heads are not gonna drop the hp 60 hp..your friends are clueless...crown vic heads were e6 heads..same head used on the 86 mustang...as that's exactly what my 89 crown vic had and .040 IS not AND I REPEAT NOT gonna make it run noticabley hot.....if it does you have a cooling system deficiency due to either a radiator, water pump and or t-stat among somethings.....trust me .040 is not the prob..I have a 66 mustang that runs at 195 all day long at idle in the heat with no overheat and it's bored .040.....your friends are not as tech savey as they think........and your lack of rpm potential could be due to gears but if you swapped in a f-cam without the matching valvesprings = a50 springs and b50 retainers....that will be the other half of your powerband issue.. trust me again I have a f-cam in my 92.. I tried to be cheap and run a e-cam on stock springs... = floated valves at 5800 everytime and it wasn't done making power when it would occur[:@]
Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

honestly crown vic heads are not gonna drop the hp 60 hp..your friends are clueless...crown vic heads were e6 heads..same head used on the 86 mustang...as that's exactly what my 89 crown vic had and .040 IS not AND I REPEAT NOT gonna make it run noticabley hot.....if it does you have a cooling system deficiency due to either a radiator, water pump and or t-stat among somethings.....trust me .040 is not the prob..I have a 66 mustang that runs at 195 all day long at idle in the heat with no overheat and it's bored .040.....your friends are not as tech savey as they think........and your lack of rpm potential could be due to gears but if you swapped in a f-cam without the matching valvesprings = a50 springs and b50 retainers....that will be the other half of your powerband issue.. trust me again I have a f-cam in my 92.. I tried to be cheap and run a e-cam on stock springs... = floated valves at 5800 everytime and it wasn't done making power when it would occur[:@]
Excellently put mjr46. [sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Crazyness