5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

flex fan question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default flex fan question?

hey guys, I have an 89 mustang with a really small electric fan. I dont know what it came from or what size it is I'm guessing a 10 in. it came on the car and their is no shrowd.

I'm not haveing any overheating problems but I think a 15-18in flex fan.
would this be a good idea? and if so what size fan and what size spacer?
thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2008, 03:09 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: flex fan question?

Might as well just take the clutch fan off and go with an electric fan. Its more expensive, but well worth it.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just get a larger elec fan
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

3.8 touras fan its 25 bucks from the junk yard and pulls a buttload of air. i got it on mine and i have never ever had a problem. also when do you overheat? sitting in traffic or driving
Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
westcoastpj
1st Gear Member

do you need to upgrade alternators with the taurus fan?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

I have a flex fan and its nice since it thins out and is more effective I suppose at higher rpm's since it flexs (go figure). However, it is very very loud, people have even asked me if I have a supercharger? But anyways electric is the way to go, unless you want a loud fan.

-Brian
Old 03-24-2008, 11:38 AM
9tyfiveo
1st Gear Member

go with the tauraus fan, they are GREAT fans. When i first got my mustang last year my first mod with EXTENSIVE research on good fans on a budget, i went with the tauraus fan. I got a two speed switch and wired it up. pretty simple. (be sure to get a high amp switch and large guage wire just in case. not all are the same draw of amps) I never had a problem with over heating unless it sat and ran. ie:stop light, ect for excessive amounts of time, then i had to turn it on. I only needed low speed and just ran with that, only when i forgot about it and it started to clib would i use the high. you can find install insturctions just about anywhere online.

Aside from that, NO, you do not need to upgrade your alt unless yours SUCKS. just use the fan only when motor is running. pretty simple. It doesnt draw too much. low is about as much as your parking lights draw.

Recently, I finally saved up some money and paid to have a mechanic install it where it just comes on when it heats up, that way i dont have to ever worry about not remembering again : ) (about $150)

Advatages:
ALOT FASTER through the rpms. Im not sure how much hp gains, (i read somewhere about 15 or so) but DEFINATLY a huge differance when your crank has nothing holding it back. better fuel mileage, ect. the list goes on.

As for flex fans, i spent big bucks getting a nice flex fan right before the electric, what a pos. i hated the fact i could only hear air, not my motor, and it didnt seem to cool any better. thats when i did the switch to an electirc. i strongly suggest it : )
Old 03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I have never overheated, and either my cars temp guage is broken or I have no thermostat because my temp guage doesent go above 150. so While I was swapping thermostats or if it even has one I was going to install the flex fan because the 10 in fan with no shroud I didnt think was doing much.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

You probably do not want to go with the flex fan. It is also not a clutch fan so it continues to spin at high rpms.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

ya but it flatens out and at idle it still spins

Quick Reply: flex fan question?