5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

To much vacuum advance at high RPM HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
warggod
1st Gear Member

Default To much vacuum advance at high RPM HELP

I finally found out what was wrong with my car but anyways...
i have a duraspark 2 dis. and when i reb it up with timing light im getting like 30 degree of timing
you can here it missing when i get up to around 3000 rpm and up
so i unpluged vacuum hose it solved the problem what do i have to do to fix this
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
warggod
1st Gear Member

Default RE: To much vacuum advance at high RPM HELP

p.s. how much vacuum advance do you what, the most?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ha ha my 92 does the same thing with my duraspark dizzy and has a light miss when you rev in in nuetral checking like you are but driving the car it's fine..and when you remove vaccum advance line it goes away..I know what you mean!!!! what you need to do is tune the curve and the rate........total advance should be no more than about 36 degrees and rate will depend on power band of cam where and when you want full advance.. which is generally by about 3000 rpm's.....but what you can do is put stiffer springs on the mech side..but you need to dissassemble dizzy to do such = that's why I haven't done it yet and you can buy an adjustable vaccum advance to tune that portion
Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: warggod

p.s. how much vacuum advance do you what, the most?
depends what the mech yields you..but like I said 34-36 total is max you want
Old 03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I have the same problem with mine on only it is worse. As soon as I touch my throttle it misses and backfires. The vacuum canister is supposed to have an adjustable screw on the inside. A 3/32 allen head. Mine does not. I am gonna purchase an adjustable canister from advance that comes with springs and a new canister for like $30. I am driving mine with the avdance unhooked. Doesn't have a problem with anything yet but I havn't taken it over 2500rpms while driving. Plugs are brown except for one that is somewhat black thanks to the short runners on the #4 on the performer intake. I still have some tuning to do with mine.

Anyway back to the vac, I have about 11 inches at idle but good is more like 13-15. Thanks to my cam I am low. You want a total of about 35 degrees I do believe. Mine was jumping to over 40 degrees.

What is your base timing at?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM
warggod
1st Gear Member

thanks guys my timing is around 12 degrees and my plugs where staying white which was freaking me out but when i unhooked my vacuum advance the plugs seem to be turning brown now and allong i thought my missing was my electric fuel pump giving me problems
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
warggod
1st Gear Member

ya today installed my holley red fuel pump when that didnt work then i started checking my timing again then checked my total timing then i found the problem
p.s. now i no what people mean when they say the holley red pump is loud
Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I would swap either to a Holley Blue inline pump or to a regular mechanical pump. But have you properly set your Idle air mixture screws? What carb are you running and what size? My plugs where badly fouled and I could smell gas bad until I set the idle mix and put in some smaller jets and bigger rods. (Running 2 stages leaner on my edelbrock 600) until I get my gt40 heads on. Try backing the timing back down a degree or 2 and see how it runs.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
warggod
1st Gear Member

i no this is a differant question but ford racing told me on adjusting zero lash 1/4 turn past zero lash with the 20 pounds of torque do you guys agree
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
warggod
1st Gear Member

edelbrock 600 and i set them with a vacuum gauge they are about 1 1/2 screwed out
thats with a e303 cam stealth manifold ground exhaust humps out to

Quick Reply: To much vacuum advance at high RPM HELP