MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Changing heater core, Dash is off, Speedo cable holding me up??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/424397-changing-heater-core-dash-is-off-speedo-cable-holding-me-up.html)

5pony0 03-25-2008 09:00 PM

Changing heater core, Dash is off, Speedo cable holding me up???

Followed the directions from mustang monthly on how to replace heater core. Im about half way through. The dash is off of the firewall, but some cable seems to be holding the dash close to the firewall.

Its a gray cable going to the Instrument Cluster. I'm guessing its the speedometer cable. I need more room to access the heater core. If it isthe speedo cable, how can I disconnect it. There seems to be some plastic clip in the back of the cluster on the end of the cable, but not sure how to go about it, and certainly do not want to break anything. Any suggestions?

Here are some pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/153/70F51FB43CD349098B0F94B8136778F0.jpg[/IMG]

mjr46 03-25-2008 09:07 PM

RE: Changing heater core, Dash is off, Speedo cable holding me up???

there is a white connector on the back of the cluster that you squeeze to release cable....what I do is push the cable assembley forward ..squeeze connector and pull out at same time;)

5pony0 03-25-2008 09:16 PM

Just to be clear...Is the white connector the one pictured on the bottom left? Or do I have to remove the cluster from the dash to get to it?

And what do you mean by "pushing the cable assembly forward"?

Do you mean push the cluster/dash closer to the firewall to give some slack, then Squeeze the connector and pull out?

Thanks!

mjr46 03-25-2008 09:34 PM

yes that's the one...if there is a lot of tension on the cable it 'll be hard to release sometimes.. so I pull the cable forward a little to get some slack and releive any tension pulling on assembley...or push it towards firewall...whatever pleases you:D

5pony0 03-25-2008 10:13 PM

I just tried to squeeze the connector, but it wouldn't budge. maybe cause i just couldn't get good leverage. Should I use pliers or could that damage the clip?

or should I just put the dash back temporarily and remove the Instrument cluster and remove the cable that way?

It's really difficult to determine where and how hard to push since I've never done it before.

This is probably important...Does the connector stay attached and the cable slides out of the connector? or do both come out of the cluster together?

I really appreciate any tips and pointers you have. Thanks.

mjr46 03-26-2008 06:47 AM

cable and connector stay attached and come out together..you have to squeeze in right place ..like I said push forward squeeze and pull back/out[8D]

nacanitihs 03-26-2008 07:06 AM

squeeze this part and pull it and the cable away from the dash. push the dash closer to the front of the car so you get some slack.

you actually dont have to undo the cable to change the hearte core. just pull the pass side away from the car and leave the drivers near the fire wall..

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...B8136778F0.jpg

aode08 03-26-2008 07:39 AM

If its giving you that much trouble, remove it from the tranny and the bolt on the firewall to give you a ton of room, dont let the car give you this kind of headache, I feel your frustration 100%.

Clean your heater box free of coolant, antifreeze is a nerve toxin.

Before installing your heater core, connect a piece of garden hose with a clamp on one end, then hold your hand on the other, confirm it does not leak and treat it gently.

2. Install a restrictor (most techs use a piece of 5/8 hose, cut it down the center in put in the the inlet tube of the core), wrap a long piece of speaker wire around one pipe inside and ground it to the ECM ground behind the passenger kick panel, 8mm bolt, green.

3.Flush your cooling system and add the proper amount of glycol to water ratio.DO NOT USE EXTENDED LIFE ANTIFREEZE, it cost more than its worth.

4. A bottle of Antifreeze Conditioner, will keep the coolant neutral.

mustang86cars 03-26-2008 05:39 PM

Yep I had the same problem with the speedo cable also, like the other guys are saying, it will come off with a little slack. Take your time

5pony0 03-26-2008 09:38 PM

ok, finally got the speedo cable off. in looking at the connector i honestly cant see how that kept the cable attached to the speedo, but whatever. I ended up putting the dash back and removing the Instrument cluster to get better access to the retainer/connector.

With the dash out of the way I could now move on to removing the a/c dryer bolts in the engine bay by carefully bending the tabs. I then removed the bolts holding the HVAC case to the cowl. BUT IT DID NOT LOWER DOWN AS MUCH AS NEEDED!!!! It only dropped down about an inch. The mustang monthly article shows it like 5 inches lower. There's no way to drop it like that without disconnecting the AC.

Even if I get the old core out There's not much room for me to get my hand in there to clean it.

This royally sucks. I'd almost rather pay the $500-$800 dollars to have someone else do it.

But I've come this far and I'm sooooo close. I'm going to try to pry the case open enough to get the old one out. I'd hate to have to cut the case open and tape it shut, but if I can't get it to work it's either that or disconnect the A/C. The way I feel right now I may just forget it and put it back together.

Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips guys.