5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Thermostat question

My coolant temp is usually a little over 180 degrees once the car is fully warmed up...as measured by my Autometer gauge. If it's a hot day and I'm running the A/C, the temp may reach 195-200, but that's the hottest it ever gets. Even then, it will only stay that hot for a minute or so, and then the temp drops back down near 185. The temp seems to regulate itself to be a little over 180 most of the time. I'm wondering if the guys who changed my cooling system may have put in a 180 degree thermostat instead of the stock 195 degree unit. Given the running temperatures I've mentioned, does it sound like I have a 180 or 195 degree thermostat? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Thermostat question

I thought stock was 192? If your ok with the temp i would not be concerned with which one they put in there. I would imagine though that they put the stock one in there unless you specified differently, the 180' is usually a few bucks more.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM
89GreyStang

Hmm.. It sounds like you have a 180 is in your system. In a 195 setup it usually hovers in the 192-195 range.

I have found that with a good radiator the range you are seeing is usually the setting of the therm.

FAST... You are right. Stock is 195.

G
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Is it 192? My mistake. At any rate, if there is a 180 degree thermo in there, I want it out. I've learned that, with iron engines, you want to keep the temp near 195 to minimize engine wear. I have to change my thermostat housing gasket, and I'm thinking I may just replace the thermo with a 192 just for good measure. Is the rating of a thermostat displayed anywhere on it?

Also, my entire cooling system is only like a year old. Is it possible that I do have a 192* thermo, but that my motor is just runningsuper-cool?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
89GreyStang

I once though a cooler engine wore down faster, but a few mechanics, and a friend who is a metallurgist told me that the temp has more to do with emissions than with wear and tear.
Metal expands as it gets hotter, and so on a hotter engine the tolerances are closer. A good oil prevents the wear and tear.

A cooler engine is more likely to, due to the settings of the 'computer', run somewhat rich, and produce more hydrocarbons.

G
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89GreyStang

I once though a cooler engine wore down faster, but a few mechanics, and a friend who is a metallurgist told me that the temp has more to do with emissions than with wear and tear.
Metal expands as it gets hotter, and so on a hotter engine the tolerances are closer. A good oil prevents the wear and tear.

A cooler engine is more likely to, due to the settings of the 'computer', run somewhat rich, and produce more hydrocarbons.

G
Thanks for the reply, 89grey. That's another reason I want to stick with a stock thermostat...maybe get a little more mpg. I'd like to believe your friend; I've just heard/read to much to the contrary, indicating that the stock thermostat is best for engine wear and, like you said, emissions/mpg. Either way, I guess I'll swapthe thermostatout when I change the gasket, unless "192" is marked right on the existing unit. It's good to at least know that I have theright one installed--according to Ford anyway. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
ship

my Napa thermostat had 195 stamped on it, so when you get it out you might be able to tell what it was anyway
Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I could be wrong on the thermostat since everyone else is saying 195. I went to the parts store to get one for my 351 block since i'm currently not running one and they said 192 was stock. I'm not trying to hijack your thread but i do have a question. My car runs very rich below 3k rpm's, as you can see i have no computer and also no o2 sensors, would a stat help with the rich condition. I've done all the adjusting and changing on my carb that i can do. I only get about 6 mph and would love if i could sqeeze 10 out of it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

I could be wrong on the thermostat since everyone else is saying 195. I went to the parts store to get one for my 351 block since i'm currently not running one and they said 192 was stock. I'm not trying to hijack your thread but i do have a question. My car runs very rich below 3k rpm's, as you can see i have no computer and also no o2 sensors, would a stat help with the rich condition. I've done all the adjusting and changing on my carb that i can do. I only get about 6 mph and would love if i could sqeeze 10 out of it.
6 mpg? Jesus, FASTBLACK! I don't know how you can even afford that. Incidentally, my new record for mpg is 22.5...mostly on the highway. Stock FTW! Seriously, I think you'd only gain mpg in changing your thermo if there's too cold of a thermo in there to begin with. I knownothing about car carbs, but I would guess your rich condition may be a jetting issue--assuming car carbs even use jets. I'd guess the problem is in your carb, either way--if there even is a "problem." Maybethat bad-*** motor is just thirsty. How much power does it make?

Ship, thanks for the info.