5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

running like its first started...rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:41 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Default running like its first started...rich

heres a new question. When I first start my car it has more power than when its warmed up. My friend said that I could get it to run like it does when I first start up the car by getting a fuel pressure regulator and turn up the pressure a little. The reason being is that when the car is first started its on cold start circuit, the computer tell it to run rich, so my freind said If i got a pressure regulator it would make it run a little rich, thus making it run like it does when I first start up the car. Is this true? I need info on weather it would work or if running a little rich would help?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: running like its first started...rich

I have a adjustable regulator, and have the same prob. tried upping the pressure and lowering it, but 40psi is when it sounds best.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:01 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

well if I turn up the fuel pressure regulator will it make it run a little rich. Because I want it to run rich, as if I was first starting the ...If my theorie is in fact true. Well[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

sounds like you have a good amount of mods and you need to get the AFPR
Old 04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

2 ways to go here,

What your after is trying to keep the car in closed loop like when it first starts up?

1. Put a 160 thermostat in it, it will keep the engine cool and more than likely keep it in closed loop.

2. There was a mod that people used to do when the stangs 1st came out, put a resistor inline with the temp sensor or maybe the ECT to fool the computer to stay in closed loop. Probably have to do a google search for info on this such as resistor value and where it goes exactly.

Either way will probably work but is a crutch for what you really need, and that would be bigger injectors or something to give you more fuel if your running lean. I wouldn't suggest this as a long term fix, but more like a band aid until you get some cash for the parts you need.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Yes I have alot of mods, full exhaust,T.B,CAI,subframes,control arms, all the free mods, 180 T stat, 4.10's, 3 core rad. I have more I just cant think of.
Anyway. I have a 180 T-stat, I see those resistors on ebay for 5 bux's should I buy it. But yes I want my car to stay on closed circut. Will the fuel pressure regulator fix that or not. What should I do, what are the ways to keep the car on close circuit like when I first start the car.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

heres one I found on ebay. tell me if Its what Im looking for. Ebay item
heres another will this work another chip
or this one...another chip
Old 04-12-2005, 11:29 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i would get the AFPR and turn it up a little and if you have the money get it dyno tuned and they will set the fuel pressure for the most HP
Old 04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
88GT40
2nd Gear Member

running the car rich will only hurt gas mileage and shorten oil life but its better than running lean, yes cars run better when cold, but that is when they do the most damage to the engine, if you want the car to keep that same type of power you just need to keep the air coming into the engine cooler, you can use a cold air intake, or nitrous, or you can use a phenolic heat spacer inbetween your upper to lower intake manifold, and you can wrap your upper intake in heat deflective material, alot of people when they would make runs at the strip would put dry ice on the manifold just before a run. so it's not the fact that your running rich that is giving you the power its the fact that the heat isn't yet there to affect the air under the hood and into your intake.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 AM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

thats true, but I have a CAI, bypassed the hoses to the egr plate...which helps by the way.but yes an intake spacer is next on my list.

Quick Reply: running like its first started...rich