5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Since the dash is off...Location of Door lights key ignition chime / beep ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Default Since the dash is off...Location of Door lights key ignition chime / beep ???

A while back the chime or beep (what ever you want to call it) stopped working, or so I thought. This is the sound when you leave you lights on and open the door with the keys out of ignition...also the sound when you put your keys in the ignition and open the door.

I discovered it still works, but can barely be heard unless its absolutely quiet and if I put my ear close to the dash. I still cant quite figure out where it is coming from.

Since I got the dash apart doing the heater core, I'd like to fix it or in the very least know what the part is, where it is, and how it works, etc.

If anyone knows what the part is called, where it is located, and or has a pic of it, that would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Since the dash is off...Location of Door lights key ignition chime / beep ???

....you want to fix it...? lol. I hate that thing.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default RE: Since the dash is off...Location of Door lights key ignition chime / beep ???

IDk about the 87+ but my 83 was a white box behind the panel in the driver side of the dash. I wouldn't fix it. Find it and unhook it!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
dave1170
1st Gear Member

I found mine while doing my dash wiring. It was a white box about 4 inches by 2 inches by 1/2 inch. It was slightly to the left of where my heater gauges were, behind the dash.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Yes, its a white or black box (depending on the year), that is attached by two screws just to the left of the console. It has another relay attached to it as well.
I have the same problem. I took it apart, cleaned the disc, and it got helluva loud for a day, then it got even quieter than before.

I went to Pick N Pull and pulled one out of a 93, but it turns out my 90 has a different one, so I'll be talkingit back. (I think they changed in 92, the plug is completely different, and so are the internals)
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys I found it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/153/A00D77FA45EA4361AFC1D0547BF105AD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Have any pics of the inside of one? Also, did you take your out with the dash still in or taken out?

thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

You can remove it just by removing the two screws and lowering the bracket. Then you remove the one screw holding the module to the breacket and get it off the bracket. No need to remove anything else off the dash.

Here is how to fix the problem you are having

I just fixed mine today (as the other one I got from Pick N Pull was also very quiet.)

I dicked with it for over an hour ad figured out what works

Open the box (2 snap locks) and remove the E bar, and lift the board up at an angle and slide it out.

You'll see the the 'speaker' that is held in by 4 clips - you can release them from the other side

Split the plastic piece from the metal disk.

Remove and discard the foam and try to clean the disc using alcahol or something. On the one in the car I got all of it off very easily, this one is gummed up bad. Be careful with the disc.

Next grab a dizzy o-ring ( I know everyone has a few of these laying around their garage ) and use it in place of the foam. I did have to cut about an 1/8 of an inch off of it for it to make a smaller circle so it could fit in.

Snap on the black palstic holder on (make sure all 4 tabs lock). It will feel a bit snugger going back on.

Carefully insert the electronic board back on there and insert the E bar. Snap the caver back closed and you should be in "biddness"
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Awesome pics/instructions.

Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

No Problem, let me know ifit works out for you.

Quick Reply: Since the dash is off...Location of Door lights key ignition chime / beep ???