5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ultimate frame strength

Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Jersey5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Ultimate frame strength

Hello all,
I am right smack in the middle of putting my mustang back together, and before doing so I need a bit of help. The car is an 83 mustang, and it's looking to be a drag car. I have a competition engineering roll bar that will be going in. I was originally planning on using the supplied plates to well to the floor pans, but I have since gutted the entire car and realized that's not really the way I want to do it at all. I already have a bit of rust in the floors to cur out and replace, so I figure I may as well weld in beefy subframes while I'm at it and weld the roll bar right to that.

I can weld fine, and pretty much I'm looking for tips on strengthening this body as much as possible, I have access to plenty of tube steel so I will be fabricating all the braces myself, **** paying so much for pre-made parts

I'm looking to get some pictures of where people have strengthened their own bodies, I have seen some weld tube steel in a few different places under the floor pans, making a T shape, as well as seeing people who ran tube steel across the rear from strut mount to strust mount. Anyone have any suggestions for where to throw down some reinforcements? Pictures work great for me, if I can see it I can build it, so don't hesitate.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 11:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Ultimate frame strength

subframes , weld torque boxes control arms and front k-member
Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Go with Maximum Motorsports styl full length subframe connectors of get the thru floor subframe connectors that sit inside the subframe and has a brace that runs to the pillar where the door hinges.
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=293 parts
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/instal...usthrusub.aspx installation pics
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
87TOPLESSGT

DONT FORGET A TRIANGULATED TOWER STRUT IN FRONT. STRUT TO STRUT AS WELL AS EACH STRUT TO FIRE WAL.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

That would be called a strut tower brace. Alot of people say after subframe connectors and a cage it is pointless. Also alot of them won't fit after you start working the motor and adding aftermarket intakes, carbs, air cleaners, etc.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Jersey5.0
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I would certainly have to fabricate a custom strut tower brace because nothing made to clear a stock 302 is going to clear what's goin in the car, that I am sure of.

Anyone fimiliar with something like this?

http://web.inetba.com/autoweld/images/toms8.jpg

I see it reffered to as a stub brace, I don't know all the details on doing it, but from what I can gather, they go through the floor with one end welded to the a pillar bars of a 10 point roll cage, and the other welded to the frame in the front.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Interesting. Havn't seen that one done but I have seen some with tube steel welded into the front of the strut tower down to righr behind the headlights.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

if its a drag car you dont need the strut brace
Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

I seen it done on muscle car on tv on that charger i belive it was. They did exactly what you said but it didnt have a full 10 point roll cage just a simple one i think. Im buying a 93 notchback and the guy already has sub frame connectors but its not full lenght would it make such a difference to have?

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

if its a drag car you dont need the strut brace
Wouldnt it be the opposite? Wouldnt you want that if it was a drag car?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

No, for drag cars strut tower braces are not needed. They are intended to help keep the front of the body level on hard cornering. You don't take corners while going down the strip. Same reason people remove the front sway bar, it is not needed at the strip.

To tell you the truth it seems like you may be going a little over board with all the bracing. How fast are you wanting to go? You may just be adding more weight, hurting yourself instead of helping. With subframe and the roll bar (depending on how many points are used) you will probably be just fine for a long while. If you intend on going into the 9's you need to remember the rules and regulations on competion with licenses, roll bar certification, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultimate frame strength