5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

steeda oil separator

Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
jperz89lx
2nd Gear Member

Default steeda oil separator

hey, does anyone use the steeda oil separator? (http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_oil_separator.php) Does it work well? Did you notice any difference in blow-by, or oil consumption?
Any help would be great..thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: steeda oil separator

Its cheaper to either add a breather element material($3.00) in the hole, or have a machinist, tap a PCV Intake Hose Adapter Closer to the front of the Intake Manifold and plug the old one.$25

Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I considered it but from what I've heard, blow by really doesn't get bad enough to warrant one of those unless you are supercharged.

On the other hand though, I'm sure over time blow by can be pretty bad. I remember when I took the intake manifold off my truck a while back and at 260,000 miles, that thing was coated on the inside [:'(].
Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
jperz89lx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode08

Its cheaper to either add a breather element material($3.00) in the hole, or have a machinist, tap a PCV Intake Hose Adapter Closer to the front of the Intake Manifold and plug the old one.$25

may be a dumb question but what is this material you're talkin about?...lol[&:]
Old 04-01-2008, 02:38 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jperz89lx

hey, does anyone use the steeda oil separator? (http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_oil_separator.php) Does it work well? Did you notice any difference in blow-by, or oil consumption?
Any help would be great..thanks
It does not change the degree of blowby, but it does help get the oil out of the crankcase gasses before it reaches the upper intake manifold.

I have a similar unit from Home Depot in my 2.3 and 408w Mustangs. They are effective.
Look in the Tools department, with the Air Compressor accessories.

I assume you are asking because you have oil in your intake?
Do you have a baffle installed on the underside of your lower intake? How about in the valve cover, under the filler neck?

Here is some more info that I put together...
http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/pcv...trolissues.htm
(you shouldn't need the second pcv location, but the rest of the background stuff may help...)

good luck,
jason
Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
jperz89lx
2nd Gear Member

cool, thanks for all the info jason...and yes i have oil in the intake[:@]...im pretty sure there is a baffle on the underside of the intake, iv never had the valve covers off so im not 100% sure about the valve covers but yeah...thanks agian
Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

cool, thanks for all the info jason...and yes i have oil in the intake[:@]...im pretty sure there is a baffle on the underside of the intake, iv never had the valve covers off so im not 100% sure about the valve covers but yeah...thanks agian
When you remove the oil fill cap, you will be able to see...
1. the rockers
2. a baffle

You don't really need to pull the VC's
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
jperz89lx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dudeboy

1. the rockers
2. a baffle

yup, iv' got baffles...i think im gonna try to put a second PCV valve along with an oil separator, see what i get
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dudeboy

1. the rockers
2. a baffle

yup, iv' got baffles...i think im gonna try to put a second PCV valve along with an oil separator, see what i get
Have you checked your compression and leakdown numbers?

The second pcv will do nothing if you have excessive blowby (which will show on a compression check)...

jason
Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 AM
jperz89lx
2nd Gear Member

yeah if i woulda read the info you gave mealittle closerthe first time i woulda caught that part...haha[&:]...oh well iv got some diagnostics to do this weekend...(including a comperssion, and vaccumtest)...lol well thanks for all your help man

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steeda oil separator