5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

any staten island members

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default any staten island members

any staten island or ny/nj members close by that can lend me a helping hand.

after reading a million articals on how to check the timing and distributor etc i still dont fully understand it to do it alone. i was wondering if someone would be willing to come to my shop and help me. of course i dont mind returning the favor, or getting some beers or if you want a few bucks just tell me.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default RE: any staten island members

Moving back to Long Island at the end of the month........but that probably won't help you out

What problems are you having with your timing? Just how to check it? Do you have a timing light??
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Seriously dude, timing is easy. Pull the spout connector, hook the timing light up to the battery and #1 plug wire, start engine, point light at crank balancer and look at what number the timing pointer is pointing, loosen the distributor hold down bolt and rotate the distributorandset it to the factory setting (10*) or a little higher if you want some performance. Done.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Here is a pic of my Balancer.....Just like Capri said......Pull the spout, hook up your timing light, and point it at the balanacer right here (It is at 0 here):

If you take a little chalk, just rub it into the numbers on the balancer so when you hit it with the timing light, you can see where you are at

Here is a pic of my balancer with some chalk on it:

BTW, your car looks AWESOME!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

im from bergen county, NJ..but yeah, just do what they said, its easy once you do it once
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

it sounds easy, but doing it the first time is always difficult and im unsure about it,

secondly id like some help in person, bc as it stands the spark plug order is all wrong. so i have to restab the distributor, and that i have no clue, even after reading that write up in the tech section.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

to get the right firing order...

take out hte plug on cyl #1

stick your finger in the hole and have somone quicky give the key a quick tap to start the car with out starting it... just enough to get the motor to turn over...

you will feel your finger be pushed out, that is when cyl #1 is at Top Dead Center, now when that happens pop open the Cap, and look at the rotor,, where ever the rotor is face is #1, so place your #1 cyl wire there and then go around and complete the firing order.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

as for the timing...

Jack
White Out
Timing Gun
Socket
Ratchet (small one)

Jack the car up, turn the engine over (with out starting just kinda flick the key really fast so it won't start) till you can see the numbers on the Balancer

find the # BTC you desire, typically ATC will be 10-0 and BTC will be 0-30 (at least on my car)

then take the white out and mark what you want (most run 10-14* BTC! 10 being stock on a fox)

Now find the spout connecter, and unplug it...

Start the car up now, idle may seems wierd... that is fine

Take your timing gun and attach it to your battery and make sure you route the wires to it safely around your belt drive and fan... next take the clamp or lead point and attach it to your #1 cyl wire... and point the gun or light at hte balancer... you will see the white out mark you made flashing... if the pointer is already there then you can just disconnect everything and forget about it

if not then loosen the dizzy hold down bolt with the socket and rachet (idk the size)

and turn the dizze BY THE BASE till the pointer is on the # you want, tighten it down, shoot the gun at the blaancer again to make sure it didn't move then... plug the spout back in and your done
Old 04-05-2008, 05:03 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

queens here .. sent a pm
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok i think i understand it, but one more stupid question, whats the spout connector? as alero99 states "Now find the spout connecter, and unplug it... "

also is there any other way to rotate the engine bymyself to feel the air push out on the stroke, i dont have anyone that can tap the key to almost start the engine

im also going to do a compression test as well, since ill have my head under the hood. so i may have some questions about that as well.

Quick Reply: any staten island members