5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Whats wrong with it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Default Whats wrong with it?

I really need some help here. I've bought a SN95 GT and got it for a good price. That aside it does have a few problems. First off it seems to run hot after only driving it for a short time. When I take the radiator cap off, water spews out but it's cold for the first few seconds then turns quite hot. Water Pump?

Second Issue - While driving the car it doesn't want to go above around 3200RMP's it just kinda tops out and no matter what, will not go higher. Pedal to the floor... 3200 RPM's (Timing? ECU?)

Third Issue - The car does not want to idle very well in fact it will die alot if you don't pat the gas pedal a little. It was sitting for awhile and i'm not sure if this could be due to the fuel that was in the tank. I put about 3 more gallon's in with some "Sea Foam Motor Treatment" (Injectors? Fuel? Timing? ECU?)

Let me know what you guys think. Any advice or suggestion's are much appriciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Whats wrong with it?

run a koeo/koer test, check for codes to get a direction on where to start..after that clean maf, check for vaccum leaks and for the over heat...??? don't open it while it's hot..of course it'll spew...when a liquid is heated it expands and done so under pressure it raises it's boiling point....so of course it'll spew when you pull the cap off..that test means nada what you did!!......if it runs hot..you need to make sure the t-stat is opening and that the radiator is not clogged/ restricted
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

The guy I bought the car from said he had someone text the computer and it came back all 0's. Sound right? Whats the best way to check for radiator clogs. Take both hoses off and run water through it? He suposedly changed the t-stat not too long ago but the car was sitting. Would it be bad to remove the tstat and see if it runs hot?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: gobabygo

The guy I bought the car from said he had someone text the computer and it came back all 0's. Sound right? Whats the best way to check for radiator clogs. Take both hoses off and run water through it? He suposedly changed the t-stat not too long ago but the car was sitting. Would it be bad to remove the tstat and see if it runs hot?
NO!!......IF YOU REMOVE THE T-STAT it may not warm up enough so that the ecm can run in closed loop operation.......but if you can lower the level enough to see the radiator cores inside.. you can run the car and watch and see if flow takes place and look at the cores to see if there is any scale build up
Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

text the computer? do pcm's have a my circle also? LMFAO[8D]
Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Yeah, The radiator was roded out (guess thats the right spelling) the guy said 2 years ago but has been sitting. I'll check that tomorrow and see. Also if i took the Tstat out it would flow freely and tell me instantly if they're are blockages right?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Whats an easy way to tell if the waterpump is moving water? take the top hose off and wait for the Tstat to open?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

text the computer? do pcm's have a my circle also? LMFAO[8D]
haha sorry i ment "Test"
Old 04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

so, today i changed the water pump and pulled the tstat and checked it... It works fine water circulates. However. The car still runs hot. Not quite over heating but very hot. If i tried to drive it fast at all it would over heat. It runs alittle better I cleaned the MAF and inside the throttle body. It idle's better now but still has poor throttle response and won't rev very high still. maybe 3500-4000 tops. Any more suggestions?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

is the gauge giving you the correct reading??.....you'd need an infared ray gun to check various points on the cooling system to verify that.. but when is it overheating?? idle or cruising down the highway or all the time?? did you replace radiator cap..cheap insurance

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with it?