5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel guage stuck past full...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel guage stuck past full...

My fuel guage is stuck up past full, which means bad ground or bad guage, correct? Is it possible to change out that section of the cluster with the oil pressure and fuel guage on it?? Or is there something else that could be gone wrong? I was told it doesn't sound like a sending unit because when they go they lie on empty. Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2008, 08:38 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel guage stuck past full...

bump, for the night.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Searched through a program I use trying to figure out what it might be, found this in relation to the types of fuel indicaters used. My question is does it drop back down with the key off or stays at the same point no matter what.

Also I would go check mine but I am tired and back aches from todays tinkering but from when I dropped the fuel tank I beleive the sender unit is easy to unplug and test the results on the gauge.

Bimetal Type

The fuel level indicator gauge pointer is attached to a wire wound bimetal strip, which, when heated by a signal from the fuel sender unit, produces the appropriate level indication When the curent is low there is little heating effect and the point moves a short distance As the current increases, it produces a greater heating effect, causing the pointer to move a greater distance.

Magnetic Type

The fuel level indicating system is a magnetic type system, which consists of the sending unit located in the fuel tank, an anti-slosh module located on the back of the instrument cluster, and a fuel gauge located in the instrument cluster.
The sending unit changes resistance according to the level of fuel in the fuel tank, which varies the current flow through the gauge. The pointer position varies proportionately to the current flow. In this system, the sending unit resistance is low when the fuel level is low and high when the fuel level is high.
The pointer of the magnetic gauge remains in position when the ignition is turned to the Off position. O some models, an anti-slosh module is used to dampen out fluctuating fuel signals from the sender.
Some vehicles are equipped with a low fuel warning indicator. The anti-slosh module will also actuate the low fuel indicator when the fuel level in the tank reaches 1/16 to 1/8 full.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
xfasteddiex

try this oil/fuel guage 14.95http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryan_89_mustang

My fuel guage is stuck up past full
Thats a good thing If you were unlucky it would be stuck half empty.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 AM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xfasteddiex

try this oil/fuel guage 14.95http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...QQcmdZViewItem
Thats what I was wondering how easy is it to sway that piece out because I have a spare cluster out of a 4 banger that i can use as a donor.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

all you have to do is unplug the sending unit back at the tank and see what it does if it drops it's a bad sending unit it works off of resistance if you have decade box you can plug resistance values in to test gauge operation
Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 AM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

my 89 is stuck above F all the time also, for now I've been counting miles and joking to everyone about how great my v8 is on mpg. It appears my mustang is superior to hondas in every way now
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
xfasteddiex

ORIGINAL: mjr46

all you have to do is unplug the sending unit back at the tank and see what it does if it drops it's a bad sending unit it works off of resistance if you have decade box you can plug resistance values in to test gauge operation
mjr46 ive been thinking about my fuel guage & a few other people say they have the same problem it will go from full to 1/4 tank in no time on 1/4 for ever then stay when mine hits 1/4 it takes about 8 gallons to fill it up roughly half a tank. thesending unit is basicly a float & rod hooked upto a potentiometer could it be a bad spot in the coils on potentiometer or would it be the guage its self
Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Currently I have a full tank so I don't want to drop it too pull the plug so in my position It would be easier to throw in the guage piece but I don't know how to do that.

Quick Reply: Fuel guage stuck past full...