5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

electric fan help yet again

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: electric fan help yet again

so is there something wrong with mine or missing? or are you suggesting a way to make it work beyond what was supplied? cause i kind of want it to work how its supposed to and not have it run all the time.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

this sucks, its probably something stupid that im missing
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

I am trying to piece the wiring down to follow the flow of current. From the pics it looks like a yellow brown and black wire come from the fan is this right.

The transformer has a black, red, and orange wire; is this right?

Am I seeing that theorange wire is spliced into the yellow near the top curve of the fan?

Yellow and brown wire are linked to the temp sensor?

Also appears you have a yellow and red wire tied in to the negative of your battery, what does this go to?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

therm probe in rad: yellow/spliced to red from probe to starter solonoid. brown- from probe to transformer

from fan: orange to 25 amp fuse to transformer. blue spliced to black which goes to ground.

red: from battery to transformer.
black: transformer to ground.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

remind me to never let you do any of the wiring on MY car
Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

haha adder. if you're making fun of the extensions and layout of the wiring thats not the finish results. im just trying to get it to work. im going to soder(spelling?!) and heat shrink the extensions i made then hide all the wires.

have any advice to offer me about getting it to work?

or you dont know and just wanna poke fun!?!j/k
Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Tell me if this is it, kind of lost with the wire colors but this is what I got put together to show the flow of power right now. This is also assuming the unseen transformer has four (4) wires from it and it is working as the relay as well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/94046/E3C0842F348549998DC420EEFFD97F7C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you nailed it.

and that was really funny btw...transformer...
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

is the wire on the starter solonoid where i have it now even correct? or does it need to be on the other side?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Transformer - Autobot - Mustang -

Awesome, okay if this is how it is wired it should be correct (well powered anyway),both Power leads of the transformer/ relay are on constant hot locations so the key on power does not apply at this point.... moving on....

Thetempsensorisa switch to power the relay in the transformer, so when themetal of the sensor heats it completes the circuit that activates the transformer todirect power fromits RED wire to the ORANGE wire completing the circuit to the fan which results in the fan spinning....

This brings me back to the either the sensor is faulty or not getting hot enough to complete the required activation of the transformer, or the relay in the transformer is working.

To test this you will need a 5 - 8 inches of wire and if available two alligator clips attached..... if you don't have alligator clips then strip the wire further and make a hooks out of the unshielded ends. This is just a jumper wire, to bypass the temp sensor. You want to keep all the wires attached the way they are and just by pass the actions of the temp sensor, keep hands clear of the fan because it should come on. If it does not then the transformer is the issue, re verify its wiring or replace.
If the fan does come on you will need to test the temp sensorswitch, maybe by bringing it up to temp and checking with a test light or multimeter to ensure current does pass through. If it checks out okay then may need to move it to a new locationlike the other side of the Rad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/94046/0860094637A14A4DA6BEEC6FA9E6226D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: electric fan help yet again