5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

electric fan help yet again

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default electric fan help yet again

ok so i cant get these beast to turn on. i took picture of my shatty wiring so tell me whats wrong.

this is the thermostat wiring, cant really mess this up. placed right next to the coolant inlet as noted in the instructions so im pretty sure this is correct.

in this picture you can see my 12v source goes right to the battery as noted in instructions. and if you seen my previous post about the 12v accossory wire needed i place it on the start solonoid, im not sure if this is correct so tell me where to put it if im wrong cause i think this is my issue right here.

here is a general overall look of it from the backside. the car sounds wayyyyyy better without that damn mech. fan running. more motor to hear.

as a side note i placed power directly to the fan to make sure it works and yes it works. i just cant get it to turn on at idle at a stop light for example.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: electric fan help yet again

Are you able to verify that the temp sensor / relay or working, from the pictures it seems right to me only question is the relay / sensor.

Edit: also wondering about the sensor location, the coolant near the lower hose will be cooler than coolant coming from the top so the sensor may not be getting up to temp tocomplete the circuit.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well i dont know how to point out which is not working. power when key is in the on position or the temp relay is not working. is where i have it now correct?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

For now to troubleshoot I would hook the Power when on directly to the battery, the relay will act as switch if it is working.

EDIt: couple guys have been saying time into the ALT, and been going over the wiring diagrams for your car and only other location I can see if headlight/ fog lights in that general area.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

its not a DD so i want to figure it out now
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

I just took my sleeping pill so my typing skills a slowly leaving me, want me to give you a call and we walk through a few things to inspected?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

pm sent
Old 04-14-2008, 10:02 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Both red wires are POS + power source, where do they run form the Battery and the starter relay?, are they both connecting to the sensor? The power leads off the Fan, it looks like you have 3, one a always hot positive (yellow wire) connection, the other a remote (orange), and then the black ground. This is going from the pictures so correct me if I am wrong, If the yellow lead plugged into one side of the sensor and Orange spliced into the battery, I am thinking maybe the yellow and orange need to switch positions, but to check you should put a jumper between the two prongs of the sensor and connected wires to see if it kicks on. sleep time, talk to you tomorrow, send me the details of the fan ans switch if you can.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ok ill run down what each wire is and or should be.

red- power to battery
yellow- power when on position(its for the termostat)
brown- the other half to the t stat.
black(2) one is fan ground the other is for the transformer ground-both of which are grounded well.
orange- the fan power from the transformer to the fan. in the middle is a 25 amp fuse which is still in good working order.

the transformer is very small and you can see it in the pics but it is right under the rad hold down bracket by the battery.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
87greyghost
1st Gear Member

Easy fix go to the parts house and get a 30 amp relay. Run youa wire from your fuse box to the right spot on the relay. I used my heater blower fuse, just something that only cuts on when the key is on. then run you 12v from your batter then run your fan to the relay and then run a ground to the relay and i think thats it. Thats what i did and mine runs fine it just stays on constantly but thats good because i race it. Now if you want it done right listen to those guys.

Quick Reply: electric fan help yet again