5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI To Carb fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Default EFI To Carb fuel question

OK, somebody has had been able to do this. Can you switch over to a carbed system without changing over the fuel system? Lines, reg, etc. The carb, manifold, dizzy and misc is standard. Also, leaving all of the EFI wiring in place for the future if necessary. Has anybody done this using a special regulator bringing the pressure from 42 down to 6 - 7 psi?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: EFI To Carb fuel question

There are some people on here that have kept efi fuel pump and used regulators to adjust to 5-7 psi. I have not. I'm sure someone will chime in that has done it. Are you just going to do to see if you like it? I say that because you plan on keeping all the efi junk. It will clean the engine bay and possibly give you just a very slight increase in power. I would probably leave the efi in there if it runs good. I cant remember where your from but with a carb you might have harder starts. Mine starts easily unless it's very cold, but i dont have a choke horn. You can get an electric choke to help with that. I dont mean hard starts, what i mean is the car running without staying in there and patting gas till warm.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

There are some people on here that have kept efi fuel pump and used regulators to adjust to 5-7 psi. I have not. I'm sure someone will chime in that has done it. Are you just going to do to see if you like it? I say that because you plan on keeping all the efi junk. It will clean the engine bay and possibly give you just a very slight increase in power. I would probably leave the efi in there if it runs good. I cant remember where your from but with a carb you might have harder starts. Mine starts easily unless it's very cold, but i dont have a choke horn. You can get an electric choke to help with that. I dont mean hard starts, what i mean is the car running without staying in there and patting gas till warm.
I have always had carbed motors, my 72 Z28 383 stroker it has never been a problem, actually very easy to matain and tune. This is the first FORD I owned and I love it, I just don't like all of the EFI crap! Look yourself, pulling a head off is a major job with the EFI, carb...No problem. I have seen this guy Fletcher's write up on conversions however, I know there must be a way to convert allot easier? The real change is the fuel system? Do you know if there is any place that sells the entire conversion kit?

http://web.mac.com/emon2/iWeb/Site/1...%20CAMARO.html
Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I dont know of anyone who sells a efi to carb kit. Here is a link from stangnet about converting over.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=738315
Old 04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

I dont know of anyone who sells a efi to carb kit. Here is a link from stangnet about converting over.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=738315
Good write up, a bit confusing but good. Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Replace intake, add carburetor, change distributor for a ready to run style or DuraSpark + module or MSD box + install a return style regulator (Aeromotive, Holley, MSD), wire a relay for the FP (or slightly modify the wiring of the existent one)........ start it it up and go. My '86 junk has been running a 700 cfm Holley with the in-tank FP for 16 years now.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:21 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

I did one a little different (in an F150, but same concept). I disconnected the hot wire to the high pressure in tank pump, wired it into a Holley red pump mounted slighly lower than the tank (keeping the inertia switch intact). I installed a decent size fuel filter between the pick-up tube and the pump, which holds fuel even when the motor is shut off. It acts as a primer to help siphon the fuel from the pump when you turn it on. The Holley pump actually pulls the gas through the disconnected factory pump and pickup. I just capped the return line. If I had to do it again, I would use the return line with a return style regulator. Probably not the best set up, but 2 years later it's still working, and it's a daily driver.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

I did one a little different (in an F150, but same concept). I disconnected the hot wire to the high pressure in tank pump, wired it into a Holley red pump mounted slighly lower than the tank (keeping the inertia switch intact). I installed a decent size fuel filter between the pick-up tube and the pump, which holds fuel even when the motor is shut off. It acts as a primer to help siphon the fuel from the pump when you turn it on. The Holley pump actually pulls the gas through the disconnected factory pump and pickup. I just capped the return line. If I had to do it again, I would use the return line with a return style regulator. Probably not the best set up, but 2 years later it's still working, and it's a daily driver.
So, the fuel system is the most complicated part of this EFI to carb conversion?