5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will this exhaust be overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 AM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default Will this exhaust be overkill?

[hr]

I have a stock 86 Gt and the only mod's it'll get are a K&N Drop in filter(I know, big whoop! lol) and some 3.89 gears. I also wanna do a new exhaust. Right now it's got all the factory exhaust, but the factory cat back on the car is in great shape. However the stock headers could be better. One of em has a hole in it and just pops away as i'm goin down the road. lol So I was thinkin I would tune up the exhaust a little, get a better sound and as a bonus see a couple pony's outa the whole deal. However, I don't wanna lose ANY TORQUE! Thats why I got a 5.0, the bottom end torque. lol I don't care about much except hoppin of that line like a bat outa hell. Anyway, my plans are some BBK Shorty unequal length headers, a BBK catless H-pipe and some Cherry Bomb Glasspacks or some flo'swelded into the stock catback. My bro welds rather well so I don't have to worry about labor cost! lol But yeah, does that sound like it'll flow "too well" and take away some of my bottom end torque? I'm mainly concerned about the header setup, the mufflers is a toss-up.[/align]
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Will this exhaust be overkill?

An H pipe your gonna lose torque because the cats choke up the exhaust a little and create back pressure for that extra push. I admit the H pipe sounds beastly but I could feel the loss in torque and I wasn't happy, the shorties I think are going to do the exact same thing for you.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 AM
j3rry
2nd Gear Member

tell ya what man i dont know how cops are in ur town but i have 86 also has stock headers h pipe no cats with straights into glass packs . my mufflers are burnt out and let me tell ya it is loud as helll sounds pretty good tho i think . but few guys on here tellin me im prob losing power cuz no back pressure. but if im losing power dont see how cause car is pretty damn mean . and go with h pipe with no cats those things are jus pain n **** if ask me i hate em all lol .
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: apedosmil

An H pipe your gonna lose torque because the cats choke up the exhaust a little and create back pressure for that extra push. I admit the H pipe sounds beastly but I could feel the loss in torque and I wasn't happy, the shorties I think are going to do the exact same thing for you.
umm he has the stock h-pipe in there with 4 cats if he puts the bbk h-pipe in that gives him two cats less back pressure more flow.

as for your cat back your still only gunna have a 2 1/4 pipes i would get a new cat back as well up the pipes to 2 1/2 flows better sounds better. your gunna think your losing torque but really your not the ecceleration is just smoother. its also better for when you wanna do future mods like h/c/i
Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: j3rry

tell ya what man i dont know how cops are in ur town but i have 86 also has stock headers h pipe no cats with straights into glass packs . my mufflers are burnt out and let me tell ya it is loud as helll sounds pretty good tho i think . but few guys on here tellin me im prob losing power cuz no back pressure. but if im losing power dont see how cause car is pretty damn mean . and go with h pipe with no cats those things are jus pain n **** if ask me i hate em all lol .
w....t....f

post a sound clip, i want to hear this monstrosity
Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: j3rry

you do realize its a 10k fine per cat if you get caught with that so thats 40k fine if you get pulled over and they see that. cats really dont restric the exhaust all that much expecially the new high flows. your not an all out drag race car why not leave them in it helps expecially in cali
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
84Stanger302

No it all depends on which state he is in. Im in NH and if its older than 95 you can run straight pipes out the hood if you want to! lol
Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

i have mac shorties to bbk off road h pipe to glasspacks dumped and it sound mean as hell . sounds great but when your cruising it isnt that loud where cops will harrass you. you can drone it out a bit. but step on the gas them glasspacks scream.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
87 T TOP GT302
2nd Gear Member

I'd go with mac 1.5 in shorties which are designed for fairly stock motorsand off road h pipe andsuper 40 flowmaster.The small tube headers will help with the torgue.I'd also add 373 gearswhich won't hurt too much on street but when you nail it in first you better hold on.I've got 410 gears in my 87 now but i'm going to change to 373 to be more street friendly.I had a black 86 gt,still wish I had that car, before i got my 87 gt and that thing was awsome. I removed the back two cats and installed 373 gears and that was it.Had a ball in th late 80's dusting irocz's trans ams vettes grand national regal .I would run anyone who wanted to try .
Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

id buy bbkceramic longtubes with an off road h-pipe with a flowmaster catback.do not put junky *** glass packs on especially on the factory flow tubes they are 2 1/4 in which is defeating the purpose. if your budget does not alloy then bbk shortys with an off road h-pipe itWILL NOT make you lose low end torque. it will help hp and torque through outthe rpm range! be sure and get 1 5/8 primaries not the 1 3/4.and if your budget allows get the ceramic it will help power and help keep the temps under the hood down.not sure where you are from but if you have tohave cats in your state then get the h-pipe with cats! good luck

Quick Reply: Will this exhaust be overkill?