5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang gods help me big problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:18 AM
jester73440

Default Mustang gods help me big problem

ok please bare with me I'm going to try and tell every detail. During fall I bought a 90 lx from a very good friend I bought it knowing it had some problems.The car specs are at the bottom of the post, But here is the problem the car runs for a half hour idling or driving don't seem to matter.At that point the car shuts of no warning just straight dies.It then will not restart for roughly an hour. The car runs fine when running it has a check engine light that I need to check and see what the codes are. But we do know it is spark shutting off not fuel we tested the spark from the coil and got nothing while the fuel pressure was there. Now we thought we had it when we disconnected the MSD box. The car ran smoother,better idle and ran for over an hour with out dying out. Today was the 1st time the problem showed up since we hooked up the stock ignition last week.

So there is the problem now let me give you a little history of the car. The motor,trans, suspension,brakes all have under 3k miles on it. There was one problem when the motor was built the oil tower pluge( i believe that is the name) was not put in the short block from the factory.My friend i bought the car from did not notice this and oil was poured into everything and the block blew on start up. The block was replaced by the factory but oil was everywhere. My friend told me he replaced the o2 sensors since they were filled with oil along with the bassani cats on the X-pipe. The car was also a auto that was converted to a T5Z. Everything that was not replaced on the car has 107k miles onit.Myfriend hooked up the car to a scanner and got a lot of codes that made no sense telling him that things like were not present stuff that was new. The car has the aod computer and wiring harness and the neutral switch had been tripped so the clutch has to be down to start the car.

So there is a little briefing on the car now here is what we have tried to fix the shut off. Fuel pressure was checked, TFI has been replaced, coil had been switched out,MSD box has been taken off stock ignition has been reinstalled. After the car has died I have tried starting the car off a bat chargers jump start. I have noticed that the passenger sides CAT glowing red and smoking after idling for about an hour.

Now what can be shutting off the spark off??? Our next idea is replacing the computer but please if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. We are running out of ideas

Car specs:
Under 3k miles:
302 block
edelbrock performer heads
edelbrock performer intake
MSD ignition box, distributer,coil
24lbs injectors
prom 75mm MAF
edelbrockwater pump
black magic electric fan
T5Z trans
alum driveshaft
bbk headers
Under 500 miles:
full drag suspension with airbag
holly 255 fuel pump
Over 3k miles:
Bassani X pipe with cats mac mufflers
4.10 motive gear ring and pinion
motorsport posi
Old 04-18-2005, 03:42 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Mustang gods help me big problem

well if you have cat than there lies the problem as the full of oil most likely..drop the h-pipe and see
Old 04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
88GT40
2nd Gear Member

the ignition switch is a recall on the fox stang they tend to overheat and cause these type of undesirable problems, ford will replace it for free.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
jester73440

Well about the cats if they were bad wouldn't the car run poorly this car runs perfect and then straight dies
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 PM
jester73440

How would I test the ignition switch
Old 04-18-2005, 08:40 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I know that if the cats are bad they run like shiat from the turn of the key, but idk how they act if they are full of oil.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:54 PM
jester73440

The cats have had about 1700 miles put on them since the oil mishap I believe it all should be blown out. The problem started all of a sudden the last thing done was header gaskets and bam this thing started
Old 04-18-2005, 09:05 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Check your timing, the cats should not be glowing red, which indicates really retarded timing.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

my msd dis. did that to me...it was my magnetic pick up..got hot then shut down.... my module was bad also....
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

my module was bad also....
That was what I was going to suggest, the ignition module on the side of the distributor. When they get hot, the car quits. When they cool down, the car will run again.

That's what I would check for.

Quick Reply: Mustang gods help me big problem