5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help, Removing Tint!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
medium_jay
1st Gear Member

Default Help, Removing Tint!

Hey guys. Anyone with expereience removing tint would be a great help. I am going to attempt to remove the horrible tint job on my car and I am just wondering what is the best way? I hear that stuff sticks real good? Anyone got any suggestions as to the best way to get the tint off? Thanks for your help guys.

Chef
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help, Removing Tint!

Heat gun or hair dryer and a razor blade
Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

im going to have to keep my uncles heat gun for another week, haha i hate the 20 year old black thats now purple tint
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

lol, if you get them retinted make sure you get some quality tint material. there is a higher ration of a metalized material in better quality tinting sheets. make sure you do some research before you retint if you do. the high ratio of the metalized material the longer they stay black and better UV protection
Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
dognutz

You can spray the window down with soapy water cover with a piece of plastic and sit it in the sun. This should deactivate the glue so you can just pull off the old tint, then you can scrape the snotty glue off the window. Make sure you use a fresh razor or you will scratch your windows. On the rear just use a scouring pad and be careful of the heating strips.

Good tip on the more metalized (sp?) tint being better quality. Dyed tint (cheap) = purple when it's old.

GL
Old 04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Your gonna need some trash bags, razor blades, amonia, water w/ soap. First, try getting a corner pulled up and pull off in one or as few pieces as possible, but mostly likely the tint is deteiorated, so you will have to spray inside of window w/amonia and cut part of plastic bag and put it so it covers most of the inside window. Then let it sit in the sun for atleast 1/2 hr. then peel up corner with blade and try to pull off in one piece. If worse comes to worse and it start coming off in a gazillion pieces, spray with soapy water for lubrication and razor away. Oh yea, most tint has two layers, one clear, and one shade of tint, do not pull just one layer off, pull both together as one peiceor you'll make it worse. Whatever shop you take it too, tell them you want the cut along the long side of the rollup window to be as close to edge as possible or equal to the gap between tint and the top edge of window.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
YaST

If money isn't an issues, I would take it to a professional. I tried removing my tint on another car... it was more headache than spending a couple bucks for a pro to do it. Your fingers will ache, your arm will want to fall off... that glue they use is crazy!

// Paul
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM
1mean5.0
2nd Gear Member

yeah, it is a very long painstaking process
Old 04-17-2008, 05:03 PM
1.9.9.4 pony
1st Gear Member

hair dryer on hot with a razor and a damp warm cloth to take off any extra glueon the window just pass it threw and razor blade it off but carefully u can scratch your window good luck and have a nice hole day taking those tints off good
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

damn..mine musta been realy old or real crap..cuz i was just sittin parked next to someone talkin the one day, it was pretty hot n we were in the sun..and my tint had been pealing off on the back so idk..i just reached back n pulled n it came off in one big sheet on the back, and i just went ahead n pulled the two side back windows off too..i spose it had somethin to do with sittin in full sun on like a 65-70* day..idk ..now i just gotta shell out the money n get them redone professionally..my buddy just got his done yesterday with 5 on back n 15 on fronts...its a black galant and it looks damn nice..i cant wait to get mine done...just curious..whats some of your guys's local prices for gettin all 5 windows done..he said it was like 275 for his..i was just wonderin..

Quick Reply: Help, Removing Tint!