5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will a chip fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Will a chip fix this?

i dont know, solely because the symptoms of the op's problem are nearly i dentical to mine.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:43 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

My car does the same thing hot or cold (by reading the replies it seems like it never gets hot).
Ill change the thermostat one day this week and see what happens.
I know theres more to the problem than just the thermostat though, considering how it runs when its still cold.

I really dont know if I can afford a tune right now. Whats the typical cost of getting a dyno tune done?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test as the EEC system, check if it has any failure codes it is trying to compensate for.... check if there are any hardware problems that could affect any tuning you end doing afterwards.

BTW, here are some items that are mismatched.......

-Ford Racing 24 lb/hour fuel injectors
-Granatelli MAF sensor calibrated for 24 lb injectors
-160* thermostat
-'93 Cobra computer
You have a MAF calibrated for 24# injectors in a A9L based system, with a Cobra computer and a logic that is set for the 24# injectors, with a different MAF transfer curve than the Cobra 70mm MAF transfer curve it expects to use for A/F control. You need to either change some hardware there, or get it tuned to make everything compatible again.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:15 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Ill have to check for codes sometime this week. I dont have the car here tonight.
My previous computer was an A9P (former aod car).

I didnt think there were different MAF's for the Cobra. All Ive ever seen were MAF's listed for engine and injectorsizes.

Would the MAF make it only do this at 2000-2600 rpm? When Im on the gas hard it runs fine.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJB

Ill have to check for codes sometime this week. I dont have the car here tonight.
My previous computer was an A9P (former aod car).

I didnt think there were different MAF's for the Cobra. All Ive ever seen were MAF's listed for engine and injectorsizes.

Would the MAF make it only do this at 2000-2600 rpm? When Im on the gas hard it runs fine.
That is the created misinformation out there, Ford OEM MAF units are NOT calibrated for specific injector sizes...... the calibration is part of the ECM logic (or the tune in aftermarket lingo). The MAF calibrated for injectors is an aftermarket "way" to fool the OEM logic into thinking it's using smaller injectors. If you have the stock MAF laying around (A9P), you could swap it and check how it does + run the self tests..... and yes, the MAF could be a cause..... the transfer curve the ECM is expecting is totally different from the one that MAF is providing.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

SWAP TO A 180*-190* STAT

YOUR CAR NEVER REACHES OPERATING TEMP SO THE ECU DUMPS MORE FUEL TO WARM UP THE ENGINE BUT THE STAT DOESNT LET IT GET HOT ENOUGH
Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

That is the created misinformation out there, Ford OEM MAF units are NOT calibrated for specific injector sizes...... the calibration is part of the ECM logic (or the tune in aftermarket lingo). The MAF calibrated for injectors is an aftermarket "way" to fool the OEM logic into thinking it's using smaller injectors. If you have the stock MAF laying around (A9P), you could swap it and check how it does + run the self tests..... and yes, the MAF could be a cause..... the transfer curve the ECM is expecting is totally different from the one that MAF is providing.
I got rid of the original maf a long time ago. It was only a 55mm.
Can you suggest another MAF to get?

Im not trying to be difficult- I just dont understand the whole electronics aspect of these cars.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

SWAP TO A 180*-190* STAT

YOUR CAR NEVER REACHES OPERATING TEMP SO THE ECU DUMPS MORE FUEL TO WARM UP THE ENGINE BUT THE STAT DOESNT LET IT GET HOT ENOUGH
I plan on doing that later this week. The car isnt a daily driver and its not here now.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 AM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

Well if you want get a stock cobra mass air and leave your cobra computer in and it would help fix the problem along with the thermostat change.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Get a MAF from a 94/95 mustang, 6er or 5.0. That is the same as a cobra MAF, and with you cobra ECM, it will run like one(meaning it will run your 24lbers) With the stock ECM, it would only run 19lbers. Look on ebay for the MAF.

Quick Reply: Will a chip fix this?