5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fluid leaking from T-5??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default Fluid leaking from T-5??

I have a fluid leak which appears to be coming from the rear of my t5. From what I have read there is a tailshaft seal and some kind of seal at the back of the yoke. I am thinking the yoke seal is gone because theres gear oil all over my tranny tunnel and the way I figure it is if it were leaking from the tailshaft seal it wouldn't end up on the bottom of the car it would be on the ground only. Does anyone have any input on this?? Thanks,
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
86GreenMachine
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fluid leaking from T-5??

Thats your rear tranny seal alright.Just changed mine.Fluid was sprayed all down the driveshaft tunnel.Its a real easy fix.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GreenMachine

Thats your rear tranny seal alright.Just changed mine.Fluid was sprayed all down the driveshaft tunnel.Its a real easy fix.
So It was the seal thats inside your tailshaft housing?? Is it possible you could give me a few pointers because I probabley going to do that in a couple days. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
86GreenMachine
2nd Gear Member

Its the seal that your yoke goes into.Pry it out with a flathead screwdriver.Then tap the new one in with a rubber mallot.Tap it in gentley or you will wreck it.You may also want to get your drive shaft, u-joints, and yoke checked.My yoke was bent a bit on mine and i wreck a new seal.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Have you recently removed the drive shaft or had u-joint problems? Most of the time the rear seal is pinched when re inserting the drive shaft and will leak. If it is the rear seal then a flat head to pry between the surface and tail housing to remove and large socket and hammer to drive the new one in. If I recall you do not need to remove the tail housing at all.

https://mustangforums.com/m_4740999/tm.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GreenMachine

Its the seal that your yoke goes into.Pry it out with a flathead screwdriver.Then tap the new one in with a rubber mallot.Tap it in gentley or you will wreck it.You may also want to get your drive shaft, u-joints, and yoke checked.My yoke was bent a bit on mine and i wreck a new seal.
So The only thing That I have to remove to get to the seal is the driveshaft??
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brentloftis

Have you recently removed the drive shaft or had u-joint problems? Most of the time the rear seal is pinched when re inserting the drive shaft and will leak. If it is the rear seal then a flat head to pry between the surface and tail housing to remove and large socket and hammer to drive the new one in. If I recall you do not need to remove the tail housing at all.

https://mustangforums.com/m_4740999/tm.htm
I have never removed a drive shaft before I'm just getting to know my (insert obscenity here) wonderful mustang. I have a list of things to do and this is one so I will check the U joints as well I'm assuming there gone because everything else is gone on this car the yokes prolly bent too. I guess I will see haha
Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that you are having so much grief..... I am there too but over a broader spectrum of FORD in general but that's another story. To check your u-joints, before you remove anything check for free play by trying to move the end of the shaft side to side or up and down, if it has movement then you know for sure. Since you will be putting the shaft back in the car use a grease pencil, tape or anything to make sure it goes back in the same way other wise you maybe 180 degrees off and could get a vibration. If memory serves the drive shaft is secured with (4) 12 point bolts, I think they are 12MM.Oncethey are off move the shaft forward a little and down but don't drop it. You should now be able to use a flashlightto check over the seal at the tail housing, look for gouges or tears and signs ofwear. If in doubt replace it using the info above. It seems more complicated than it really is, doesn't take to long.While you have the drive-shaft out look for fatigue or cracksin the yoke. I have never seen one bent but plenty broke\ shattered.