5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best OTS Camshaft???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default Best OTS Camshaft???

Hey guys, im mapping out my H/C/I swap, and im looking at cams,

I was gonna go with an E-303, but im not sure if thats the best choice for my needs

was wondering if you guys had any good cam ideas for what im doing

AFR 165
Edelbrock Perf. RPM II
24 lb injectors,
70mm TB and EGR

all the supporting mods

i was wondering if theres a better OTS cam for that setup to net me good power for less than 250 bucks, the E303 was looking good because of price, but i dont know, people bash it

would an F or B cam be better, or cause PTV clearance issues, what about comp cams etc

im not looking to need to notch my pistons...

thanks guys
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Best OTS Camshaft???

I like the comp xe series cams.. they perform quite well
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

what specs should i look at to keep good PTV clearance and also keep good performace

i know theres duration and lift, but i have NO clue what each like, do, i mean, i know what they do, but i dont know like, when.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The Crane 2031 I'm running is decent, not huge or anything either, and you can get it from like Summit for around $170-200 without lifters. Comp's XE series are good as well. Could look into getting a solid roller too.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

There's a lot that needs to be "accounted for" when selecting a camshaft, not just PtV considerations. Add the fact that two cams with very similar specifications @.050" tappet lift (duration, lobe separation) and lift are usually totally different cams due to the cam lobes profile. It's is not just a duration characteristic, there are also factors (how fast valve is actuated + how opened over specific lift points) that define the characteristics of a camshaft profile....... and this information is usually not provided to the end user. If a "real" custom cam alternative, designed for your specific components and goals is out of the question, you could also have the best OTS Comp Cams selected after evaluating your combo + goals. It will not only provide you with the best performance an OTS cam would impose, but also the best driveability features you would expect.

PtV is caused by the timing and partial valve lift during the exhaust-to-intake cycle changeover (known as overlap). Exhaust valve will be closing and intake beginning to open.......IOW... both valves will be partially open at the same time when the piston is cycling through the exhaust TDC position. Alphabet cams are an alternative, but there are better OTS alternatives available nowadays, and since the cam is literally the "brain" of the engine....... the importance of choosing the correct brain, is a no-brainer (NPI) ...
Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

I got a steeda 19 in my 94, you could try out the 18 with 1.7 rockers, they seem to perform pretty well for most people using them including me.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

If you don't have the funds for the comp cam, I personally would choose a TFS Stage 1 ($160) over the ecam, just because it's a dualpattern withadded duration on the exhaust side to help scavenge the exhaust gasses.When talking about PTV clearance, you can't really go by lift. If you were to ask if a cam with .560 gross lift would work with stock pistons, most people would tell you that it's too much lift without notching the pistons. Guess what, I have a CI custom cam with .569 lift on the intake, and .564 on the exhaust, on a 89 stock block 302!. It all depends on the cam profile and how the cam is indexed.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

hmm, i think i may just fork it up and get a custom cam, i just didnt want to, but it seems like its worth it, and ill get exactly what i want...

IIRC jay allen, or one of those cam guys has a sheet that you fill out, and he trys to select an OTS cam for you, and if you dont like it, he will make a custom grind
Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Yep...... the EZ Short Form and I really suggest a custom cam from CI. If you need any help..... LMK

Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL:

IIRC jay allen, or one of those cam guys has a sheet that you fill out, and he trys to select an OTS cam for you, and if you dont like it, he will make a custom grind
When I purchased my custom cam 2 months ago, I started out askingJay@ CI to select an OTS cam for me for the$50 fee. Jay advised mehe didn't offer this option anymore, even though it's still on his website. Explanation: You pay $50 for his time, then turn around and have to buy a $250 cam, and there's your $300 you would have spent having Jay design you a custom SADI cam for your specific application.

Quick Reply: Best OTS Camshaft???