5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clutch pedal has mushy, spongy feel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Default clutch pedal has mushy, spongy feel

Hello,

I have a 1990 GT. About a year ago I had a centerforce 1 clutch installed along witha new clutch cable and new throwout/pilot bearing. Flywheel was also resurfaced. Cant remember if the pressure plate was new or not, I'll have to search for my documents to be sure. This was done at a reputable speed shop.

From the beginning the pedal felt weird to me. It felt mushy and a lot harder to press. It would also feel jerky and make loud creaking sounds the closer the pedal got to the floor. Once in a blue moon it would act up and not let me shift into gear. I took it back to have it checked and they said it was fine and just needed a little "adjustment". Since then it hasn't been that much different. I've heard the pedal will feel different when you change the clutch and such, but it still doesn't feel quite right.

The other day I had the radiator and A/C replaced at a local shop. When they test drove it the mechanic told me the Clutch Pedal felt "spongy". He thought it might be the pressure plate and suggested to have it replaced,otherwise I may have problems 6 months down the road. He's the only other person to say the pedal felt weird, and I think he's right.

Anyone have more info about what this could be and how the pressure plate is affecting it?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch pedal has mushy, spongy feel

all clutch kits come the disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing

so you got one i'm sure. now the adjustment you speak of is important...where exactly doe the clutch start engage as it comes off the floor ? it should be about 1 1/2" - 2 inches off the floor.

if it is closer than that, you may be partially engaged when fully depressed, and you'll need to fix that...you'll not only burn up the disk, you'll fry the flywheel too , in addition to having problems going into gear at a redlight

but... do you have an adjustable cable ? did they swap out the stock plastic quadrant ? for an aluminum quadrant ? you can tell just by peeking up at the top of the clutch pedal...most aftermarket are anodized blue or just silver aluminum

if it is stock you need to replace it... the harder pedal of an aftermarket clutch will break the plastic stock quadrant quicky... and smoke your clutch/pressure plate and flywheel

Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Hard to say how far the pedal is when it engages. I always felt it engaged really far from the floor even before the work was done. Only difference now is it feels like it doesn't travel as far, and it's mushy towards the end. Before the "adjustment", when I'd release the clutch slowly it would feel like the pedal was catching and would then jump instead of moving smoothly with my foot.

Sometimes I feel like I have to jam the pedal all the way down to try to get into gear.

As for the adjustable cable...I told the guy I wanted an adjustable clutch quadrant and mentioned steeda. The Guy said to go with ford and that they make a good one. Long story short, I got a "self adjusting cable???" instead of an adjustable clutch quadrant like I wanted. I just figured F it since I'll change the motor and trans eventually in the near future and get a new one then. [>:]

So maybe it is the quadrant. I don't know. I just know shifting sucks and it's getting really old really fast.

Another time it would not shift at all, couldn't get it out of gear either. Then after finally getting it in gear the car wasn't really moving when giving it gas. Then I started to hear what sounded like something rattling (like a metal ring rotating/spinning around a medal pole losely. Sounded like like it was coming from the transmission area. Then like magic, it went away and was driving fine.

What is going on?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

OK, had problems with the clutch again today.

This time it wouldn't go into any gear unless I jammed the pedal all the way to the floor. then halfway home from workit started to shift better.

What gives?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 AM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

had the plastic clutch quadrant changed to aluminum.seems to work fine now.

thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

right on only took a few months....................[8D]
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Angry shifting issues back again

Ok,

To recap, 1990 GT. 1 year old centerforce I clutch, had problems, so had it "adjusted", then had cable re replaced, and stock plastic quadrant changed for aluminum quad.

This seemed to work until the last few weeks.

The shifting problems returned.

at a stop I can't get the car into 1st gear...I have to give a little gas as I try and I force it in (I know...not good). Then shifting into 2nd, I'll press the clutch and the shifter will not come out until the rpms die down. at a light, I'll shift into 1st anticipating the light change, and my car and steering wheel shakes even with clutch pedal MASHED to the floor. Also downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and 1st....it will not go in unless i rev the engine ever so slightly.

Obviously, something is seriously messed up.

What pisses me off is I had the car to the speed shop 3 times for the same problem, and it keeps reappearing...this is my daily driver and I can't afford to keep sending it to the shop.

What the hell is going on???

funny thing is I never had a problem with the shifter until AFTER i had the stock clutch replaced with a Centerforce I. It's been down hill since.

HELP!!!!! I'm soo mad I feel like driving my car off a cliff!!

Should just be a clutch problem right?? could it be trans too? Everytime I put it in reverse it grinds too...it's like no matter what gear, the clutch pedel is not completely disengaging...WTF...What ever....
Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

ok. i had the same problem. do you have a short throw shifter? if so, make sure the stoppers are adjusted correctly, etc. In order for you to be able to adjust your clutch fully, you need an adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and the aluminum quadrant.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 AM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Stock Shifter. Aluminum quadrant, self adjusting cable, no firewall adjuster.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

i recommend the ford racing firewall adjuster. That will make it work for you. all you have to do is turn it and you can get alot more adjustment out of your clutch

Quick Reply: clutch pedal has mushy, spongy feel