5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

speedo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

Default speedo

i got a bunch of problems on my mustang that im trying to fix that i never bothered with last year. i did some research and i cant really find an answer.

last year my speedo worked fine. a few days ago when i brought my car home the speedo never worked. the first day there was alot of winning coming from the back of the cluster, no it kinda went away. i tryied pulling the cluster out but i cant for some reason, i think the speedo cable isnt giving me slack to move it. well i followed the cable from the cluster to the engine bay and it was near the headers and the plastic around it was hard, crispy and falling apart, but i beleive it was like this to. do i have to disconnect the speedo from the tranny to pull the cluster out all the way?

also my heater core is gone and my dad keeps telling me to replace it, how many more hours do i have in uninstalling the dash to get to it?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: speedo

as for the speedo issue ..you should be able to pull on it enough to get a hand behind there and release white clip...and it may have a bad cable or head unit......as for heater core if you've never done it..expect to spend the whole day on it
Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

7hrs, you must remove the center console to remove the dash assembly. I've done my 88 twice!!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

+1 8hrs for the core

i would first pop the speedo cable from the tranny and check the driven gear/cable itself.

if the driven gear is all ground off, that might be it, if the cable pulls out of the sheath, it's broken. but in 5 minutes you'll know for sure.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:25 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

i took the cable off the back of the cluster, and there were a bunch of small white plastic peices falling everywhere, they looked they they fromed a circle to hold the cable. what is it? this might by why i hurd the wining.

and i also discovered the jew that had the car before me took out the light for the check engine. i put one in from another bulb, pluged it all in, started it light came on when i turned on accessories then dissappeard after start off so i guess all is good.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

i was at a local scrap yard tody and i saw a 4 banger fox with the cluster removed, the speedo cable was there and in the middle of the cup that goes into the cluster is a white stick, i beleive that brke and it is now jammed in my cluster. i went to the dealer across the sreet and the parts guy said there no longer in the computer(speedo cable) but they ran from almost 200 a peice, is there anywhere i can get one for cheap?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

does any one know if theres supposed to be a white plasitc in the middle of the circle that spins on the cluster for the speedo?? common guys
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crocop

i took the cable off the back of the cluster, and there were a bunch of small white plastic peices falling everywhere, they looked they they fromed a circle to hold the cable. what is it? this might by why i hurd the wining.

and i also discovered the jew that had the car before me took out the light for the check engine. i put one in from another bulb, pluged it all in, started it light came on when i turned on accessories then dissappeard after start off so i guess all is good.
dude thats some pretty offensive language

what did you replace the bulb you took the out to test the check engine light?

and Gabriel Gonzaga is better.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

1. the guy i bought the car off of was indeed jewish, and i do not take it as an offensive term
2. i used some other random bulb connector in its place, which i then put back in its original postion
3. gabriel gonzaga is crap, he got mangled by a guy nearly in his 50's
4. im trying to fins a simple answer to my question. thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: speedo