5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I am changing distributor and need some help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

Default I am changing distributor and need some help !!!!

someone please walk me through this. also how and where should i set my timing. i have edelbrock heads w/ E303 cam,msd,gt40 intake, lontubes, and a lot more but thats probably all you need to know for timing. let me know if you need more details on my setup. i need to know how to set the timing with a timing light (in detail). Please Help. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I am changing distributor and need some help !!!!

can anybody help me????
Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Ok, as far as the distributor goes. Take the cap off and mark where the rotor button is pointing ( preferably with a permenant marker and on the engine somewhere don't be silly and mark the distributor lol). Also mark where the TFI module is pointing for a reference when you put the new on in. Onces its marked you can unbolt, unhook and pull it ( be careful of the oil pump drive shaft, just pull the distributor up slow out of the block). Line up the rotor position that you have marked on the new one and set it in. This is a little tricky because of the gear mesh, what you will have to do is move the rotor about 1 to 1.5 inches back from the mark and slide the distributor in. As it meshes with the cam gear it will rotate into place, might take a few tries so don't get discouraged. Put the cap back on and your all set.

Timing:

Clamp the wire clamp on #1 plug as close to the block as possible and most of them have an arrow on them for which way to clamp them. If it has a pos and neg hook them up as well, pull the spout connector and start the car. Check timing from the passenger side by aiming the light at the damper you will see a timing pointer with numbers on it. The point is 0, past that is advanced and before it is retarded if memory serves correctly. You want about 12 degrees advance to start with, then reinstall the spout connector and take it for a spin. Its been a while since I timed anything so I may have that advance and retard mixed up, better get a conformation on that lol.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:03 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

you are correct.
and turning the dist clockwise advances and the other way is retarded
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

thanks so much birdman- you are a lifesaver !!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:21 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Its because your car looks like mine lmfao. Just take it slow and mark everything and you will be fine. Hope the distributor helps the issues.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

hell yeah, i hope it helps too. if not , i think im gonna carb it. i am so sick of not being able to enjoy my car, and if i have to carb it and sacrifice a few mpg then so be it. I think i am going to get a Yamaha R1 soon, so the stang will be sitting a lot more anyway and gas mileage wont be a huge factor. a mustang is kinda like a bike anyway- they arent too fun in the snow and rain and you enjoy them most on nice sunny days.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I've ridden an R1 before, you're gonna shat your self if you haven't. It's a struggle to keep the nose down over 100 mph.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

installed the dizzy, no diffrence. f*ck fuel injection and computers.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:19 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Dan,

Did you ever try the A9P ECM that you had? I'm thinking about picking up a new one at Advance Auto Parts, my neighbor is a asst manager there and will ensure I get a A9L. I think it was like $129 with $100 core, I will get a core from the JY for like $30 and keep my A9L in the car now. I am still running rich but its driveable at this point, I just have a gut feeling mine is bad what with the whole door lock motors shorted out scenario when I got the car. The previous owner tried to put a remote door open system in and fried all the door lock motors, so my thinking is if it shorted that bad then there had to be damage to the ECM. I also found like 3 fuses blown in the fuse panel so it took a helluva shot.

Quick Reply: I am changing distributor and need some help !!!!