5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 For sale, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 PM
moonman

Default RE: 5.0 For sale, need help!

what about this?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=100
by the way guys, thanks for all your help, im really new to these cars but need something to drive.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

You can get tap on the panels and hear the filler but you have to have an ear for it and know what you are listening for. They also have gauges to measure how much filler is in a body panel with magnetism, most parts stores carry them but I am not sure of the accuracy. That stang looks nice, but why only 1 pic? If I were selling a car I would post a ton of pics to accent all the good selling points of the car! 1 pic leads me to believe one of two things, there is something to hide, or he really doesn't want to sell it and the wife is forcing it lol. Then again he may be cheap as I'm sure autotrader charges for extra pics, but still not a good sign. If its close go take a look at it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
moonman

also this....
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ist=716#vdptop
Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
moonman

i emailed him asking for some more pictures, otherwise im going to drive over to look at it.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

The car looks great. It is really pretty and there are mods on it that probably bring the overal value of the car higher than 6K

So purchasing it is your choice. Previous post do make a point...WTH did happen to the battery. Never known of a battery to explode IN a car. That looks nasty too...like it caught on fire.

There are zip ties and solderless connectors connecting somethings together but I wouldn't pay attention to that at all.

What catches my eye is the battery...plus the picture shows that there is not a battery in there at all.

To be honest the guy has no clue if the car was garaged kept or not. Plus the fresh paint was probably from the car being stolen. My car has a fresh paint on it too, becuase I think it had an encounter with a ditch at one time. So in order to redo a car right, the whole thing gets painted with the new bumpers and such. So a stolen car, even though no frame damage occured is usually ditch in a ditch. See it all the time.

Let me ask you this...if you stole a mustang GT you would have a hell of a time beating it to death. Flooring it, dropping the clutch, slamming things hard, etc. Plus a person that has never driven a mustang and is acting crazy will find out real quickly there is no weight in the back of the car leading to easy sideways action.

To be honest I spent 6K on my car. It was all original, stock, and had 121K miles on it. Yes it was a pretty penny and it was an impulse buy. It is convertible and beautiful. But I did find out there where many problems with it. I have invested, already, $1500 in just small things to get it back to looking and working like new. I am a perfectionist so anybody else it could have been $500. I still have issues with things.

But who doesn't...they are Fords. They are cheaply made. Every mustang owners has had problems.

Plus I don't think the car is a 10 sec car. A Kenn Bell Supercharged GT pushing 600rwhp will get you into the high 9s. This car has to be at least 400rwhp to get it into the 10s and i don't see any engine mods like that. Maybe 10s on a 1/8mile track.

I don't doubt the car is fast. But expect the car to have well over 100K miles on it. Even though the engine may have 100 miles the drivetrain and axles will still break causing a 100 mile engine to do nothing.

Also why have a Ram Air Stormin Normin hood and not make it functional.

But for the car I would say every mustang is going to have its problems. If you want to be as picky at Dbeck002 then you will never find a stang that suits you. There will be problems. You buy a used car, you buy the problems.

As for the other cars:

The first one. Great upgrades, maybe a great buy but I would be worried about that NOS. NOS is a no no for a car. Unless you strictly drag, NOS means street racing. That car has been pushed hard. Plus I have seen many cars blown by NOS. Not saying I would never get it, but who knows what this owner did to it....but I like this car better than ebay one.

Next car:
It is a Cobra-mock...not the real thing. Does not have the Cobra bumpers, which are front looks like GT and back looks like LX. The emblem says "5.0" dead give away.

Even though all the engine parts might be Cobra, 8K for a cobra-mock is way too high. You don't get back what you put into the car, and this guy is trying to sell a regular GT for the price of a Cobra...which it isn't a Cobra.

So out of all 3 the second I would say would be the best. And as for the price...it is all up to you. Did I spend alot on my car? Yes. Did I make a mistake buying it? No. I love it, flaws and all, so you will have problems when you buy a mustang. But just use it to your advantage.

If I knew all the things that were wrong with my stang when bought, I could have argued my price to at least 500 dollars less. But I didn't know anything. So hopefully these forums are helping.

And word of the wise....be patient. 6K can go a LOOOONG way on a stang if you catch the rare ones.

Old 04-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you dont want a 5.0 that has been modded to start with, get a all stock one, i know that you have to spend a lot of money to make it faster but they have not been beat, and twisted.