MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   coolant lines to throttle body? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/440642-coolant-lines-to-throttle-body.html)

sem76 05-02-2008 05:40 PM

coolant lines to throttle body?

I heard I can delete this somehow. I can't find it in here or just not asking the right search questions. I just don't like hot coolant going to my throttle body. How do you by pass it?

94GTPRO5.0 05-02-2008 05:56 PM

RE: coolant lines to throttle body?

you can disconnect the line from the throttle body and from the metal hose, and then just cap them off with a rubber hose cap.

ponyboy88 05-02-2008 06:00 PM

ive heard of getting a couple hp outta this, is it worth it? any issued u'd run into on a street car

think i read about it in a bronco forum tho

sem76 05-02-2008 06:05 PM

I heard a few horsepower but probably nothing you'd notice. I don't understand the reasoning behind this as you bolt up a cold air but the hot coolant going through the throttlebody just heats it back up again.
I also would like to know what problems can happen from this delete?

dukeme 05-02-2008 07:02 PM

[align=left]

ORIGINAL: sem76
[/align]
I heard a few horsepower but probably nothing you'd notice. I don't understand the reasoning behind this as you bolt up a cold air but the hot coolant going through the throttlebody just heats it back up again.
I also would like to know what problems can happen from this delete?
Great questions, I would like to know as well.

Boss_Hotrod 05-02-2008 07:08 PM

From what Ive heard its to cool the egr plate. Ive also heard that you shouldn't remove those lines unless you egr is gone/not working otherwise your hurting yourself. I havent figured out wether or not mines working so Ithe lines are still on.

93_five_oh 05-02-2008 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Boss_Hotrod

From what Ive heard its to cool the egr plate. Ive also heard that you shouldn't remove those lines unless you egr is gone/not working otherwise your hurting yourself. I havent figured out wether or not mines working so Ithe lines are still on.
Yup. He's right... ford's engineers aren't as stupid as we think. lol the lines are there for a reason. the coolant is cooler than the exhaust gases. so unless your egr isn't there or there is no exhaust gas getting to it i would leave the lines on there...

dudeboy 05-02-2008 08:56 PM

The EGR coolant lines can be removed... some have reported removing them with the EGR still intact ;)

I don't remember when I pulled my coolant lines [&:]
or if my egr was still functional [&:]

Why disconnect it though?
You won't notice a power gain...

jason

Joel5.0 05-02-2008 09:07 PM

If you have the EGR function deleted, you could remove them w/out any problem. If you have the EGR still functional, you will cause a hot spot in the intake tract due to the flow of exhaust gases through the thin walled spacer. The coolant is in the spacer to cool the exhaust gases being introduced to the intake air, not to prevent throttle icing. BTW, and before you bring the Cobra upper intakes, you don't see the coolant lines in a Cobra intake b/c of the absence of a thin walled EGR spacer, the exhaust gases heat-sink effect is taken care by the thickness of the upper cast, and since their function is not icing prevention of the throttle, that is the other reason why they weren't used in the Cobra setup..... or as described by Ford below......

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../EGR_Lines.jpg

dudeboy 05-02-2008 09:41 PM

damn,
Joel just kicked this **** up a notch [8D]