5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

driving with no water and start making clicking noice in the engine??????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM
jasonpnoy916

Default driving with no water and start making clicking noice in the engine??????????

i went to pick up my lil bro at his work place, on my way back home the car starts to overheat but i didn't smell anything all the sudden it start making noice in the engine, i pulled over andlooked atit and there was no water in the engine, i start the car and tried to make it home two black away the car died, we pushed the car home. When i put some water in my radiator there was a crack in my lower hose, i assume i was driving it with no water, did i blow my engine? missed up my head gasket? pls help

88 mustang gt/aod
Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: driving with no water and start making clicking noice in the engine??????????

Why would you continue to drive the car knowing there is no coolant in the system. That's just stupid.[&:] Fix the hose fill it w/ coolant and start it up and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:16 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: driving with no water and start making clicking noice in the engine??????????

yeah why would you drive knowing theres no coolant?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:26 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Maybe youll get lucky and the motor will be ok but chances are you did some damage.

I blew the motor in the delivery truck I drive for work last summer because the radiator blew and I called my boss right away and he told me to try to make it back. The truck made it about a mile and then shut off on the highwayand never started again. The motor blew because of overheating.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
jasonpnoy916

at first i didn't know there wasno coolant, when i pulled over at the warehouse thats when i found out that i don't have a coolant, my please is about another mile and i got my 1yr old son with me and my 3yrs old son with me, on the hot day, i have my reason why i still drove it
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt be surprised if its fine. I had a friend drive his cherokee for a week bone dry. It kept over heating, so I told him to flush his rad and change his thermostat. When he went to change it, he realized there was no coolant at all.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 PM
jasonpnoy916

sometime last weektheres a bobble coming out the lower intake manifold gasket also theres a leak coming from water pump gasket, i put some stop leak and still leak, i replace my thermostat, i thought maybe thermostat wont open, replaced it still leak, since i replaced my thermastat thats when it doesn't overheat no more until today and overheat again
Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

kids are the #1 cause ofwrecking stuff. lolid agree with getafewlives said, flush and replace some stuff and you may be fine.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:55 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

So even w/ existing leaks you still continued to drive it. Not to bright if you ask me.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

when you say it cut out, was it a sudden jolt of a stop or did it just slowly die?

Quick Reply: driving with no water and start making clicking noice in the engine??????????