5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stalling Stang

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

Default Stalling Stang

so, i'm still having problems with the mustang not reeving smoothly, motor sounds like it's under a heck of a load when revving in neutral. I changed the fuel regulator, i have the timing set to 10 degrees. I'm not sure what stock is supposed to be set to on 87-89 pump gas. The harmonic balancer goes from -10 to 0 to like +40 maybe. The car idles fine but wont get up and go. I thought it might be the fuel pressure so I got a gauge and it reads 30psi with the vac hose on and 40 with it off. When the car is revved it goes all over. I pinched the return hose and the pressure shot up to around 60-70psi. The Haynes manual suggested a new regulator. So i blow 50 bucks and got another one. Same thing. No change. Any suggestions? CEL not on. Timing? Stopped up Cat? fuel pump? injectors? I'm at a loss.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Stalling Stang

ORIGINAL: gobabygo

so, i'm still having problems with the mustang not reeving smoothly, motor sounds like it's under a heck of a load when revving in neutral. I changed the fuel regulator, i have the timing set to 10 degrees. I'm not sure what stock is supposed to be set to on 87-89 pump gas. The harmonic balancer goes from -10 to 0 to like +40 maybe. The car idles fine but wont get up and go. I thought it might be the fuel pressure so I got a gauge and it reads 30psi with the vac hose on and 40 with it off. When the car is revved it goes all over. I pinched the return hose and the pressure shot up to around 60-70psi. The Haynes manual suggested a new regulator. So i blow 50 bucks and got another one. Same thing. No change. Any suggestions? CEL not on. Timing? Stopped up Cat? fuel pump? injectors? I'm at a loss.
of course the pressure will spike when you pinch the return line..the test you did meant nothing.....as for the issue at hand..have you tried a new fuel filter?? = if not see if old one is restricted..and if you have a maf equipped mustang try cleaning it
Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 AM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

yeah i bought a new 70mm MAF. the old fuel filter was nasty. i did change it though. thinking i'm gonna change the pump and strainer.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

new fuel pump and strainer ftw[8D]
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 AM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode08

new fuel pump and strainer ftw[8D]
it's that and a new exhaust comming in the next 2 weeks. gonna be a pypes o/r x pipe and probably some 40 series flowmasters. I've always enjoyed that sound.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 AM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

What is the fuel pressure when at the peak 2500 RPMs? Also when you say it go go above 2500, what happens, is it like a rev limiter, or does it start bucking around? It could be the pump but just doesn't sound like it to me. Still reminds me of timing "-10 to 0 to like +40 maybe" ????
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

As far as the timing, the notches on the balancer go from -10 to 0 then up to whatever. The car just kinda sputters and will rev but only slowly. It takes about 8 -10 seconds to reach 5k rpm's. Mind you, when i bought the car it wouldn't go passed 3500. So, as i'm working and cleaning it's getting better.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

http://files.filefront.com/FuelPSIav.../fileinfo.html

This is a video of the fuel preasure gauge hooked up to the rail. It didn't jump around tonight. I dunno if it's low though. it sits at 29psi then jumps to 40 when revved. I "THINK" the same smell that is comming out of the exhaust is comming from under the hood too. Is there any chance this could be a blown head gasket? I hope not. The car at max rev is 5-5100rpm's now. When driving it climbs to 2k or so then slowly climbs like it's not making any power. or starving for somethign.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
gobabygo
1st Gear Member

http://files.filefront.com/firstgear.../fileinfo.html

here's a compilation of vids. from start, to a mild, idle revv, to a first gear full throttle. See how slow the car responds in first gear.

http://files.filefront.com/Revvavi/;.../fileinfo.html

this one is sitting in neutral and revving it. When it reaches 5k the pedal is to the floor all the way. Thats as far as it will go.

and yes the POS beeper beeps all the time. I'm not sure what it even is or if it's suposed to be there.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

What is the smell you mention under the hood. If your unsure of the head gasket do a compression or leak down test.... if you have neither tool, disconnect the coil, then pull one plug at a time and crank the engine over and see what blows out of the hole, use a white towel to see the color. If coolant is getting in the cylinder it will blow out the plug and tell you right away, you can also use this time to look at your plugs as you cycle through the above steps. Note color and such to help further diagnose.

Quick Reply: Stalling Stang