5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stay with stock cam, or go to E303 (must be emission legal)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Xeryus

Default stay with stock cam, or go to E303 (must be emission legal)

Hello folks,
I need some help making this decision. I'm in the middle of buying all my parts for my engine build up. Below is what I've got/am planning on.
The question is, should I stay with my stock cam or get the E303. The reason I'm looking at these 2 is b/c of emissions legality. This car will be my daily driver and there is emissions testing here in BC. Also, since I'm planning on going turbo eventually, I don't want to spend the time and effort to get a custom ground cam when it is only going to be temporary. (Not to mention, I'd be screwed if a custom ground cam didn't end up passing emissions)
Parts list:
347 stroker kit
AFR185 heads (w/ 1.6 roller rockers)
Holley Systemax II intake manifold (upper & lower)

Ireally can't decide. On one hand, I can stay with the stock cam and not have to worry about it, plus its a bit of extra cash in my pocket. But on the other hand, since the engine will be totally apart, might as well throw in a new cam and get some extra ponies...
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stay with stock cam, or go to E303 (must be emission legal)

either way its going to hold you back A LOT....i have the E303 and its decent....not great but sounds nice,
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
94GTPRO5.0
1st Gear Member

I would look into a comp cam, or even a steeda cam. I have had 2 E303s and 1 F cam, and i didnt really care for them that well. They did sound good but for power they wasn't that good.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Xeryus

Yeah,I know they'll hold me back. I'm really choked about that, but it's only temporary. A good sound is a bonus tho. Gotta sound good when sitting at a red light, ehh?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
94GTPRO5.0
1st Gear Member

yes they have to sound good sittin at red light, and with a E cam they do sound good, really good HAHAHA
Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

or you can get some 1.7 rollers to increase slightly and remain emmisions legal
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You could have a real custom cam designed for a turbo setup + be emissions compliant now, and then install the turbo. Keep in mind that the E303 is a cam (as the other alphabet cams) designed for a 302, it will respond and work totally different in a 347 setup. Why go through the cam install + PR length & geometry check, etc, etc twice for your engine?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Xeryus

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

You could have a real custom cam designed for a turbo setup + be emissions compliant now, and then install the turbo. Keep in mind that the E303 is a cam (as the other alphabet cams) designed for a 302, it will respond and work totally different in a 347 setup. Why go through the cam install + PR length & geometry check, etc, etc twice for your engine?
Hmmm, you make a good point. Okay, then say I were to call a cam company and ask to get a custom-ground turbo / emissions legal cam. What technical info would they need about my engine to be able to make the cam?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Xeryus

Hello folks,
I need some help making this decision. I'm in the middle of buying all my parts for my engine build up. Below is what I've got/am planning on.
The question is, should I stay with my stock cam or get the E303. The reason I'm looking at these 2 is b/c of emissions legality. This car will be my daily driver and there is emissions testing here in BC. Also, since I'm planning on going turbo eventually, I don't want to spend the time and effort to get a custom ground cam when it is only going to be temporary. (Not to mention, I'd be screwed if a custom ground cam didn't end up passing emissions)
Parts list:
347 stroker kit
AFR185 heads (w/ 1.6 roller rockers)
Holley Systemax II intake manifold (upper & lower)

Ireally can't decide. On one hand, I can stay with the stock cam and not have to worry about it, plus its a bit of extra cash in my pocket. But on the other hand, since the engine will be totally apart, might as well throw in a new cam and get some extra ponies...
wow..stock cam is a 347 build......FYI the cam isn't the only thing that'll affect emission output..the raised compression will have an effect also....but a stock cam will just kill the potential on that build
Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Xeryus

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Hmmm, you make a good point. Okay, then say I were to call a cam company and ask to get a custom-ground turbo / emissions legal cam. What technical info would they need about my engine to be able to make the cam?
call Jay Allen at www.camshaftinnovations.com and pay him/cam doctor to design/ tell you what you need

Quick Reply: stay with stock cam, or go to E303 (must be emission legal)