5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default Fuel Sending Unit

Does anyone know the restistance readings of a stockEFI sending unit?? How about a carbed sending unit? My tank was swapped for a EFI tank on my 83 so now my gauge works backwards and the gauge reads empty (full bc it is backwards) at around a 1/4 tank and then starts to drop drasticly till it is empty. Basicly it seems to only move with the last 1/4 of a tank. I have the tank on the ground right now and I am gonna pull the sending unit out tomorrow and get the full and empty readings of the unit that is in it right now. Do the gauges from the 4 eyed cars and aero stangs read different and the wrong unit makes it read all screwy?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Fuel Sending Unit

on a carbed car the sending unit/pick up was all one unit ...on and efi car the sending unit is in the center of the tank and is seperate from the fuel pump carrier/pick up..I'd just get the right set up= alot easier
Old 05-11-2008, 08:42 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea, getting the right setup is my plan once I get the extra $175 for a new tank and sending unit. I could go to the junkyard and find a decent one here in texas but brand new is always better.

The next$150 I get has to go into new struts.My passenger side is so bad that it sits an inch lower than the driver side and Ican wiggle the top of the strut around. That is not something that is safe to be driving on.

But for the time being I just wanting to try and get somewhat of an idea of how much fuel I have right now. I am probably gonna run a couple of seprate wires and just carry a multimeter with me and check it from time to time since my gauge won't read it correctly.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: projectresto83

Yea, getting the right setup is my plan once I get the extra $175 for a new tank and sending unit. I could go to the junkyard and find a decent one here in texas but brand new is always better.

The next$150 I get has to go into new struts.My passenger side is so bad that it sits an inch lower than the driver side and Ican wiggle the top of the strut around. That is not something that is safe to be driving on.

But for the time being I just wanting to try and get somewhat of an idea of how much fuel I have right now. I am probably gonna run a couple of seprate wires and just carry a multimeter with me and check it from time to time since my gauge won't read it correctly.
that'll work too..as long as you have the high and low settings
Old 05-11-2008, 04:08 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

When I was trying to get the high reading for the unit it would hit OL on the multimeter after 60 and that was only with the float about half way up. So I popped the plastic cover off of the sending unit to check it out and it is really worn out. The little metal bars are really worn down and some are completly gone after years of being filled up. So I put in a full tank finally today since I got my new grommet for the filler neck and now I can see how my milage will be. It still reads the last 1/4 or so so I don't really have to worry about running out of gas on the highway lol.

Heres another idea, correct me if I am wrong but the tanks themselves are shaped exactly the same correct? I am thinking about pulling out the bracket for the pump on my tank and putting in the carb sending unit just like it would be on the regular tank. The only problem I can think of is the carb sending unit hitting the EFI unit but I can just take the EFI one apart and just leave the top part in so it will seal. Do you think it would work until I got the carb tank and do it right?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Anyone think I would have a problem mounting a carb sending unit in an efi tank???????