5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

To those who have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a 5.0

Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default To those who have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a 5.0

Well, I got my water temp gauge, and my voltometer on, after a few things got worked out, it was all good. I called it a night last night and now I wanna finish by puttin on the oil pressure gauge. So, I know were the oil pressure unit is, but i'm a little confused on a few things. First, the included instructions give me 2 ways to put it in, 1 is simple, just uses the included parts,and looks easy. 2 is more complicated looking, and looks to use a few more parts then included. Heres a scan of the instructions, sorry about the quality, but you get the idea.

So wich setup would I need? Btw, i'm fine with the stock gauge not working anymore. Also, how hard is it to remove the stock unit? I think I read somewhere you need a special tool, is this true? If so is therea way around it?

LMK

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-11-2008, 08:17 PM
sYckmYnded
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: To those who have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a 5.0

if your looking at your engine from the front of car its on the right side towards the front of the block basicly above your oil filter run your pvc line from there into you car, the gauge works off of accual oil pressure through a small line into your cockpit, mines ran on the window piller in a gauge pod
Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: To those who have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a 5.0

Haha, I got all that. lol I know were it's at and all, I just wanna know which one of the line setups I would need to use, the simple one or the crazy one with the t-fitting and all. And I also wanna know how hard it is to remove the old one.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Gronk72

From what I can see by looking at the diagrams, one looks like a basic stock gauge sender disconnect/mechanical gauge connect. The second looks like it employs a T fitting so that both the stock sender and the mechanical gauges line can be hooked up. Unless you are worried about the stock gauge in your instrument cluster(Why Worry) being dead just hook up the mechanical gauge line and chuck the stock sender unit in the bottom drawer of you toolbox.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Gronk72

As for removal of the stock sender, a hex head on the bottom side of the sender by the threads(1/2" i believe). Just pull of the wire and undo it.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Thanks very much man. I figured the exact same thing and had the exact same attitude towards it. lol
Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

use the simple one the t set up is to retain stock gauge I believe and if it's a mech gauge I wouldn't mount it inside the car..I Mounted mine on the cowl..cause if it ever springs a leak..where's the oil gonna go??
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I have seen that first hand. Thank god the carpet in that thunderchicken was already black lol. Luckily it wasn't my car either. One reason you almost ALWAYS seen fuel pressure gauges outside the car.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: projectresto83

I have seen that first hand. Thank god the carpet in that thunderchicken was already black lol. Luckily it wasn't my car either. One reason you almost ALWAYS seen fuel pressure gauges outside the car.
my oil pressure gauge used to be in the car but thought about it and decided if it made a mess..outside the car would be an easier and cheaper clean up..also for fuel pressure gauges they make a special diaphram set up that goes on the firewall so no gas is plumbed into the passanger compartment..I just mounted mine on the cowl so this would not be a concern
Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

oh its not just gunna make a mess its very hot too. if that thing bursts and hits your leg your gunna freek and most likely crash the car. anythingmechanical like that should never be run inside the car. why did you get a machanical one anyway i would have sent the extra money to get an electric one. those capilary tubes burst a lot so i would watch that gauge all the time and get ready to not see oil pressure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To those who have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a 5.0