5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

SN95 cam question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Default SN95 cam question

E303 Ford racing cam or not? Its not for my car, and I understand the issues that come with the car and vacuum etc. Has anyone done it?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: SN95 cam question

some have had okay results but just get the steeda #19 and matching spring kit..why cause a potential headache when both cams cost about the same..where as one was designed specifically for the sn-95
Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Well like I said its not for my car...I have the steeda 19. Here's the story...last summer I supercharged my car, along with that came a whole new setup with a Tweecer, wideband, blow through MAF,etc...you get the idea. I meet this kid who has the exact same car, but bone stock. He asks me if its cool if I show him the ropes as he moves foward into building it, I kindly agree. He completley blueprints my car and is in the process of cloning mine, with small exceptions such as the cam lol...He hasn't asked me a damn question about how any of it works and is having a friend of his install it all. Now I hear that he "has some trick up his sleeve" to beat me...? D-bag move if you ask me...I feel so used...

But yeah thats the cam he's going with and I might just forget to tell him that the SN95's have problems with vacuum and idle with aftermarket cams, I don't know if I want to one up him on being a dick.

You speak of a matching spring kit? That I have not heard of...can you expand?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
larry

i have a 94gt what is this vac problem you are talking about?i ask because i was going to put an e303 in my 94gt. thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

theroretically when swapping cams you should have matching springs ....each spring set up comes with a specific rate and lift it will support along with coil bing and other specs ect ect,.. I'm not sure what steeda reccommends for springs to match to the steeda 19 cam...most othe cams have spring rates/specs they reccommend using for a specific cam you plan to purchase.....I have never looked into what steeda's reccommendations are and for all I know they may say use stock springs but I kinda doubt it......anyway if the kid is a douche.. then let him learn from his mistakes like if he decides to install an e-cam and use stock e7te springs than you'll have no prob beating him.........anyway hide some sneaky pete under the seat@!!! that'll be your trick up your sleeve
Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
1995 Mustang GT
1st Gear Member

So I have some questions now because I have not touched my heads/cam yet.

Basically what I'm assuming from what I read is any cam needs to have matching spring rate for the cam correct? Also, what is the oem setup at? What kind of benefits come from doing a 1.7 RR swap as apposed to 1.6? If and when I probably do swap out the cam, do I get the springs from Steeda as well if I get a Steeda cam or do I just need the specs from them and get the springs elsewhere? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to expand my knowledge.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 1995 Mustang GT

So I have some questions now because I have not touched my heads/cam yet.

Basically what I'm assuming from what I read is any cam needs to have matching spring rate for the cam correct? Also, what is the oem setup at? What kind of benefits come from doing a 1.7 RR swap as apposed to 1.6? If and when I probably do swap out the cam, do I get the springs from Steeda as well if I get a Steeda cam or do I just need the specs from them and get the springs elsewhere? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to expand my knowledge.
oem set up at?? lift on cam?? .446 or.444 I believe......1.6 is factory ratio....1.7 provides roughly .030 more lift...as for seat of the past feel gain = probably won't notice it.....as for matching springs...ask steeda when purchasing cam what they reccommend..and if you know the specs on springs they reccommend you can use other manufactorers
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Well when I talked to Steeda I wasn't given any information about springs...lol. I'll probly make a call tomorrow. As far as the trick up my sleeve, the car is rigged for nitrous(all the way to the tank being full and mounted in the trunk), I just have to convert it to a wet spray system. You should see how sneaky I was about it, all the solenoids are mounted on the inner-inner fender well(inside the fender)...with just one little wire loomed line leading to the intake track : )
Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

!!!!!LOL......bLAST HIM into next week!!!..so when's the race go down!!!???
Old 05-12-2008, 09:10 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Lol as soon as I stumble across some more money! And when his is done of course. I should actually ask if the nitrous is a better idea than gears. The car is a stick and gets up and goes just fine, but I know hes not thinking about putting any gears in. Maybe I should get those done first? What do ya think?

Quick Reply: SN95 cam question